Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

bleeding during defacating

Customer Question

I have noticed bleeding while using the bathroom lately and it seems to be becoming heavier bleeding
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 10 years ago.

Are you bleeding while passing stool or during passing urine?

If it is during passing stool, it is likely to be due to haemorrhoids especially if the blood is a fresh red, there is no pain, the blood streaks the stool but is not mixed with it, and you are constipated.

Other causes of bleeding at stool can be bleeding in the upper part of the intestinal tract (blood will be blackish and mixed with stool), rectal polyp, rectal growths, intestinal diverticula etc.

If the bleeding is during passing urine - if there is severe pain the cause is likely to be due to a stone in the urinary tract, if there is burning of the urine but no pain, it is likely to be due to an infection, if there is neither pain or burning, it is likely to be due to a growth in the bladder.

Whatever the cause, it will be a good idea to consult a doctor for a complete physical. Loss of blood, especially where it is obviously increasing needs to be treated at the earliest.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.