Phil
Phil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Specialize in internal medicine and pediatrics, also have a PhD in pharmacology
1832918

I take Lisinopril -hctz 20/25 for high blood pressure. My ...

Customer Question

I take Lisinopril -hctz 20/25 for high blood pressure. My Dr checks it every 4 months cause it makes me nervous checking all the time. Last visit it was 144/88. I have also been taking 3 tablets of Benadryl every night to help me sleep. Could that be keeping my blood pressure elevated? I am 50 years old 5'5 148 pounds and excerise on the treadmill 3-4-days a week for 30 min. Thank You
Category: Health
Expert:  Phil replied 8 years ago.
Hello!

First, let me say, congratulations on the exercising that you're doing, and that your weight is excellent for your age and height. That alone is a great achievement.
You're concerned that the Benadryl that you're taking could be contributing to your high blood pressure, correct?

I do not think this is the case. This is not an ordinary side effect of Benadryl (and in fact, the opposite tends to be true), even in the doses that you're taking. It is a bit concerning to me that you need so much Benadryl in order to sleep. Do you consume quite a bit of caffeinated beverages? These can both make it difficult to sleep at night, and raise your blood pressure. I hope your doctor is aware of how much benadryl you take.

Sometimes just being anxious in the doctor's office can raise your blood pressure, and if you take it at home, in a safer environment, you might find it to be a bit lower.

Remember, high blood pressure is not necessarily your "fault," either. Yes, you can do what you can with medicines, and a lower salt diet, and weight loss, but high blood pressure itself is a disease in the same sense that diabetes is. It may simply have been in your genes, and there was nothing you could have done or can do to prevent it without the use of medicines.

Good luck.
Phil, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Specialize in internal medicine and pediatrics, also have a PhD in pharmacology
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Phil's Post: Thank you very much. I am just frustrated because it is not coning down.I might add that I take fish oit supplement twice a day and have lowered my clorestoryl form 236 down to 200 Thank you very much for your help
Expert:  Phil replied 8 years ago.
Again, excellent job on your health!!

I know it's frustrating. I'm glad you're taking the fish oil, and glad you've lowered your cholesterol too. You feel like you're doing all the right things, yet, it's still not working out as well as you'd like.

As I mentioned above, lowering the salt in your diet can help, but that's not easy, either, especially if you (like most of us) live a busy life and have a hard time finding time to cook well.

Your doctor might be able to refer you to a dietician who can give you some other guidelines about lowering your blood pressure without having to add on more medicines. Take a look at this website, it will give you a few more ideas, too.

http://familydoctor.org/092.xml

Take care!