AnnlynnRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN - 16 years in ICU & Critical Care (Cardiac, Neurology, Trauma, & Medical/Surgical ICU.)

I have a swollen vein in my wrist and now it has turned ...

Customer Question

I have a swollen vein in my wrist and now it has turned into a bruise, I am flying on holiday tomorrow and am worrried about a bllood clot
Category: Health
Expert:  AnnlynnRN replied 10 years ago.

It sounds like a varicose vein. Varicose veins often result in the lower extremities and compression stockings are worn to assist is good blood flow. HOWEVER, you mention your swollen vein is in your wrist. IT IS possible you could possibly have a a varicose vein in your wrist.. A varicose vein is a a vein that has become stretched and swollen with blood. "Bruising" may appear as what is actually called petechiae (small, pin-point broken blood vessels. When that happens, some blood can stay in a vein instead of moving forward like it should. This makes the vein swell up, and is most likely seen on thin or delicate skin. Therefore, bruising and petechiae is not uncommon to be seen with varicose veins.

I understand you will be vacationing, therefore here are some self- treatments you can try to alleviate it.:

To alleviate occasional swelling and pain, an over-the- counter anti-inflammatory drug such as aspirin or ibuprofen are usually prescribed. If you notice skin around a varicose vein becoming ulcerous or discolored, or if you have continuing pain with no OTHER obvious signs, contact a doctor at once about the possibility of deep varicose veins.

Varicose veins can be eliminated with several treatments. Most spider veins can be removed through laser treatment. A mild case of superficial varicose veins can be treated by sclerotherapy..... A chemical known as a sclerosing agent is injected into the vein to collapse its walls so it can no longer transport blood. More severe cases may require surgical removal or stripping of the vein. Unfortunately, no treatment can prevent new veins from becoming varicose. Before pursuing a particular treatment, discuss all options with a dermatologist or vascular surgeon.

To alleviate occasional swelling and pain, an over-the- counter anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen can be helpful to ease any discomfort. If you notice skin around a varicose vein becoming ulcerous or discolored, contact a doctor at once about the possibility of deep varicose veins

It is recommended that you consume at least 30 grams of fiber a day. To accomplish this, build your meals around whole grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables, adding these foods to your diet as often as possible. Eat plenty of blackberries and cherries. They are rich in compounds that may prevent varicose veins or lessen the discomfort they cause. Bioflavonoids, rutin is used routinely to treat varicose veins. It is present in many foods, including citrus fruits, apricots, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, rose hips, and buckwheat. Another bioflavonoid, quercetin, has shown promise in treating varicose veins.

Vitamin E 300 to 800 IU in gradually increased dosages to improve circulation, reduce susceptibility to varicose veins, relieve pain, and, sometimes, correct varicosities. Topical applications of vitamin E squeezed from capsules often relieves localized irritation and speeds the healing of varicose ulcers. (Although the Daily Value for vitamin E is only 30 IU, 300 to 800 IU a day is safe for most people. If you suffer from moderate coagulation factor deficiency, however, don't take this much vitamin E. It can cause dangerous bleeding in people who have this condition.) Lecithin One tablespoon of granules daily (or two capsules with each meal) to emulsify fats and aid circulation. Tissue Salts Two tablets of 6XCalc.Fluor. each morning and evening to improve the elasticity of blood vessel walls, and Zinc 50 milligrams daily to assist with healing and collagen formation and to help maintain the proper concentration of vitamin E in the blood.

Preferred Foods: Whole foods diet with emphasis on the following foods: fresh fruits, including berries and cherries, and citrus fruit making sure to nibble on the inside of the rinds, whole grains especially buckwheat and millet, garlic, onions, ginger, and cayenne pepper. Eat plenty of fish and cut down on red meat as much as possible. Moderately restrict fats and refined carbohydrates in diet.

Foods to avoid: Sugar, salt, alcohol, fried foods, processed and refined foods, animal protein, cheeses, and ice cream

While on vacation, until you can visit your doctor, please watch for the following warning signs:

(1) Brownish-gray discoloration of the skin around the varicosed vein.

(2) Itching or pain around one of your veins.

(3) Skin ulcers near your swollen vein which could represent a severe form of vascular disease.

(4) Your varicose veins become painful.

(5) If the skin over your varicose veins becomes flaky, ulcerous, discolored, or prone to bleeding.

(6) You have red varicose veins. This may be a sign of phlebitis, a serious circulatory condition.

(7) You cut a varicose vein, control the resulting burst of blood and have the vein treated to prevent complications.

When you return from vacation, please make an appointment to see your doctor right away.