Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality

Any organizations that help with medication costs

I don't have health insurance right now, and I have severe asthma. I went to the doctor and he prescribed some medications that were hundreds of doctors. Many people who have asthma that I know, including family, recommended Serevent or Advair. I've seen many people do great with these, and the doctor agree'd to prescribe it. I called for prices to every pharmacy, and the Advair was $260, and the Serevent wasn't much cheaper. My insurance kicks in (parent's policy) in 3 weeks when college classes start, however, my asthma is a pre-existing condition, and the medicine and treatment for it are not covered for 1 year.

Is there any way around the prices? Advair is the medicine I truly need to be on, the doctor agree'd, but I cannot afford $260 a month for it. Not with all my other bills, like tuition and books. I'm struggling as it is.

Is there any organizations, or loop holes, or anything that can get the price of the medication lowered some? I'm not looking for a free ride or anything, just something to help with the price so I can afford to get the medication.

At the moment, my asthma is so severe, I can barely walk in a store. I have my albuterol inhaler, but I need more than that, as I take it way more than prescribed just to breathe. No idea how I will start classes in 3 weeks, and walk, or ride a bike, around that campus.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Often the drug companies that manufacturer the medication have programs to assist people without insurance. I would suggest asking your doctor for samples of these medications. Often, doctors will provide patients without insurance samples.

Here is some info: