Linda, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  7 years experience working with multiple diseases and disorders in home health.

How do I pull a sore tooth?

Customer Question

How do I pull a sore tooth?
Category: Health
Expert:  Linda replied 10 years ago.

I would not suggest trying to pull a sore tooth yourself. You could have an infection and cause further complications. From the number of things you have already tried, it sounds like you have a lot of pain, and probably do have an infection in the root. You would need to go to a dentist and get a course of antibiotics (most commonly penicillin) for a few days before he would pull it. Dentists don't extract teeth that are infected without controlling the infection first becasue it can be transfered to the bloodstream and cause sepsis.

The most effective pain reliever for dental pain is ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.) You can take more ibprofen at the direction of the dentist, or a pharmacist, than is indicated on the package for good relief.

However, tylenol is different. Do not ever take more than 1000mg of tylenol (acetamenophen) in 4 hours, since this medication can cause irreversible liver damage.

I hope this helps. Pulling your own tooth can be very dangerous and I don't recommend it.