Dr. Bush
Dr. Bush, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  board certified family dr, specialize in women, children &sexual diseases

what does ventral thecal sac effacement mean

Customer Question

i had a mri of my neck and it said from c3 to c6-7 that there was ventral thecal sac effacement.
Category: Health
Expert:  Judy replied 7 years ago.
Thecal refers to the covering of the spinal cord. Ventral refers
to the front. Sac is an enclosure, puch or cavity.
Effacement means thinning.

Ventral thecal sac effacement then is thinning at the front of the
covering that houses the spinal cord. This is possibly due to a
disc protrusion. Are you having any symptoms? What has the
doc suggested as a form of treatment or additional testing?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Judy's Post: i have had pain in my neck 2+ months it radiates in to the left side of my head i have arm/hand/leg weakness and pain and tingleing, the head and neck pain stays all the time, does this sound like symptoms related to that??
Expert:  Judy replied 7 years ago.
Problems with a disc in this area would/could put pressure on the
spinal nerves that relate to the back of the head (hollow area) and
front of the neck (C-3), the back of the neck and the area above
the clavicles (C-4), across the shoulders (C-5), the upper back (C-6,
7, 8), and down the arms (C-5, 6, 7,8) and the hands

(C-6,7,8).

This site allows you to click on a numbered area and it will show you
which vertebral area is the one that controls sensation in that
area. They seem tohave missed the red section, which would be C-8!

http://www.meddean.luc.edu/lumen/MedEd/Grossanatomy/learnem/dermat/main_der.htm

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Judy's Post: i am not getting to the neck for some reason????
Expert:  Judy replied 7 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Judy's Post: on the link you sent me
Expert:  Judy replied 7 years ago.
Oh, click on the circled numbers and the area that is aligned by a line
with that number will actually appear on the left side of the screen in
the blue box.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
i am trying to find out how serious this is.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
just wanted to check second opion
Expert:  Dr. Bush replied 7 years ago.
the most common cause of this reading is what is called "degenerative spine disease" this relates to a multitude of problelsm with discs, ligaments, or in your case the thecal sac.
the symptoms you describe can indeed be related to the thinning of the thecal sac. Identification of nerve root compression or severe effacement of the thecal sac, especially ventrolaterally, that correlates with radicular pain (like youre having) or a muscle weakness pattern supports the operative approach when conservative medical therapy has failed. if you are not taking anything for this you should see your dr for a prscription strength antiinlfammatory and a course of physical therapy. if no change with these this can result in the need for surgery.

Please click accept if no more questions, positive feedback appreciated

bonuses always appreciated

**Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you might have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking medical treatment due to information obtained here. The content of the response, such as text, graphics, images, and information posted on the site as well as information obtained through "links" on this site are for informational purposes only. This answer is to the best of my knowledge and experience and is in no way infallible**