Pam
Pam, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  17 years of RN experience. Most of my experience has been Director of Nursing.
1636256

My recent urinalysis shows occult blood (2+) in my urine.

Customer Question

My recent urinalysis shows occult blood (2+) in my urine. It also shows 0-5 wbc, 5-10 rbc, moderate epithelial cells, 2+ bacteria, and 1+ mucus. In the past, blood was always found in my urine. Two years ago I had a CAT Scan and cystoscopy done and nothing was found. My new doctor has said nothing about these results, she mentioned other things in my lab results but not this. What do you think?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pam replied 10 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

Did your doctor put you on any antibiotics? If so can you tell me the name of it?

What other things did your doctor talk to you about?

Also, are you having burning or pain when you urinate?

Does it feel like when you urinate it is hard to start the flow of urine or it feels like you are not emptying your bladder all the way?

Are you running any fever?

If you could answer these questions, I will be able to answer your question more sufficiently.

Thank you,
Pam Russell RN
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Pam's Post: Hi. No, my doctor didn't put me on any antibiotics. It doesn't hurt or burn when I urinate...everything seems fine. My doctor talked about my blood test, how my insulin levels are on the high normal side and she prescribed Metformin to lower them and help me lose weight.   When I saw a urologist a couple of years ago, he ordered the CAT Scan and cystoscopy. I never had an infection back then either. They couldn't find anything wrong. What does 2+ mean?
Expert:  Pam replied 10 years ago.
Actually 2+ indicates the amount of blood seen in the urine. You have some white blood cells, but not enough to be concerned. This is present usually in infection. 2+ bacteria is also the amount of bacteria present in the urine. The doctor may feel like since you are not presenting with symptoms such as I have indicated above, he really doesn't want to put you on antibiotics. A lot of times people will take too much antibiotic therapy, and then eventually you become immune to them. So doctors now will not put you on anything unless you are having symptoms of an infection. If you do develop any of the symptoms above indicating a bladder infection, I would let him know.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have helped you in anyway by answering your questions, could you please click the ACCEPT button and also leave me a short feedback so I know how I am doing.

Thank you for using Just Answer
Pam Russell RN