Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,

I fell down last night and hurt my foot. I can walk ...

I fell down last night and hurt my foot. I can walk on my heel and my foot is only slightly swollen. But I cannot put any pressure on my entire foot. I believe that I may have fractured some bones on the top of my foot. is only slightly swollen.....but I can't put any pressure on it. I do not have any insurance. A couple of my friends that I have called.....said that there is nothing that a doctor can do if you fractured a bone at the top of your foot......all that they will do is have you not walk on it. I don't want to be stupid and have something really wrong with my foot....but I also can't afford to go to the doctor.....what would you suggest. If I put my foot flat on the floor.....and try to put my weight on hurts.....but I can but my entire weight on my is only a tiny bit swollen......should I just keep my foot up for the day...if I did indeed fracture some bones in the top of my foot.... is there anything that a doctor can do besides just tell me to keep pressure off of it.....or do you suggest getting an x-ray? Please help!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 10 years ago.

I do suggest an x-ray. A doctor will be able to tell you if there is a fracture. They will also be able to tell from the x-ray if the fracture is displaced. Sometmes some manipulation and casting needs to be done.

It could also be a bad sprain, but only an x-ray will be able to tell.

Explain to your doctor that you have no insurance. I'm sure your regular doctor will be able to come up with a payment plan you both can agree on.