CorpsmanUp
CorpsmanUp, Former U.S.Navy, Hospital Corpsman
Experience:  Over 4 years of providing direct, clinical medical care.
379498

Does Amitriptyline ever expire

I found a bottle of Amitriptyline in my cupboard from 1998, is it safe to use?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 10 years ago.

Medications that are that old lose their effectiveness.

So as far as safety goes, the medicine is not toxic, but it will not treat whatever symptom it is that you are looking to treat.

If you are looking to treat depression or need help to sleep, you need to go to your medical doctor or mental health provider for an evaluation and new prescriptions.

What is the problem that you are looking to treat? Let me know and I will see if I can help you more.

I hope this was helpful. Take Good Care! Nancy

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy's Post: I would like to know about that specific medication. I've heard that some can become toxic and cause death.
Expert:  CorpsmanUp replied 10 years ago.
I would say not to take this medication. Nancy is right about the changes that these medications go through after they expired. Too much of this medication in high doses can be very toxic and if the medication has increased in toxicity since being expired then you might wind up in the ER. Also, this medication has been linked to cause heart problems. You should consult your doctor for a renewed prescription and evaluation. If this answer helps please hit the accept button. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to James's Post: This seems like a general medication answer again, no specifics on Amitriptyline its self?
I gave my answer based on most anti depressive medications. I don't believe studies have been done specifically on Amitriptyline.

Experience: Over 4 years of providing direct, clinical medical care.