Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

Every afternoon why am I getting fever?

I have a recurring fever that starts every afternoon and goes to 102*--103*. I feel very weak--and have some stomach irritation. This has gone on for four days. I also have what I think is a thrush infection in my tongue that no amount of yogurt or Asidphalis (sp) will get rid of. I am 59 years old--female.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 10 years ago.

How long does the fever last?

Do you have chills and tremble during the fever?

How does the fever subside - spontaneously or only after you take medicines?

Have you been travelling lately? Where ? To any tropical country?

Since when have you had this thrush infection? Since the fever started or even before?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

My fever usually comes on in the early afternoon and lasts until sometime late at night or while I am asleep. It results in heavy sweat--last night my sheets were wet.
I do get some chills and some nausea during the fever and have little appetite. I do take Tylenol occasionally but it seems to do the same either way.
I did have the thrush infection before the fever started.
I just returned from California--but I spend two months in Mexico every winter--came back in March. I live in Bucerias north of Puerto Vallarta.
You should know I have been diagnosed with borderline overactive thyroid but my Endicrinologist is waiting to treat it because it seems to come and go. He is currently out of town.

I believe that you are suffering from Malaria - the symptoms you describe, especially the type of fever are typical of the disease. Since you have returned from Mexico where malaria is very common, it is possible that you were infected there. Please see here for more of the symptoms of malaria - scroll down to the symptoms and signs of Malaria.***-***-****,11956.asp

I think the thrush in your mouth is a result of the weakening of your immune system by the infection. Possibly you are also anaemic. Please apply a candid mouth paint inside your mouth thrice daily - this is an OTC medicine available at any pharmacy.

You will need to see a doctor for a check up and to get your blood examined for the presence of malarial parasites as well as for anaemia.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more input.