Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  17+ years, Healthcare Expert

I am urinating blood and large blood clots, what causes that

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Lindie replied 10 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

-What sex (are you)

-How old (are you)

-How long has this been going on and do you have any pain anywhere

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lindie's Post: I've never had this happen to me before.I am a male 56 yrs. old. This started last night
Expert:  Lindie replied 10 years ago.

Having blood and/or clot in the urine is a symptom. Generally this does indicate bleeding is occurring in the Urinary tract: Kidneys, the tube that carries urine from the kidney to the bladder or from the urethra. Blood clots that may or may not be accompanied by pain include kidney stones, kidney cysts, sickle cell disease, hydronephrosis, and cancer, trauma, scar formation, blockage of a vein, tumor.

Without a urinalysis to check for infection is hard to say what may be going on. Passing blood clots through the urine is something that needs to be checked out in person with your doctor. There are so many possibilities as to why blood could be in the urine.

So please do call your doctor in the morning and be seen for further evaluation. Since you don't mention pain though, if there is and if it's severe, then even a trip to the ER tonight is best.

Hope this helps, If you need anything else please feel free to ask. If you found this helpful don’t forget to click the *Accept* button.