Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

what could cause a thickening in the wall of the kidney

I had blood in my urine and on the CT scan it showed I have a thickening in the lining of my kidney. My doctor doesn't seem concerned about it but the radiologist said it needs further investigation
Category: Health
Expert:  Shyla replied 10 years ago.
There are several things that could be causing the thickening they are seeing. First, are you a diabetic? These people have many kidney problems that originate from chronic high blood sugar elevations. Many medications will have this affect on the thickining.

Are you on any medicaitons?
Shyla RN
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Shyla's Post: I am not diabetic. The only medication I take is Paxil 5mg and Protonix 40mg
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 10 years ago.
Renal pelvic wall thickening could be due to infection, tumor, hemorrhage or edema. IF the thickening is uniform,which i think it is in your case, it is probably due to infection or edema, and indicates a pathological condition of the kidney. Tumours nad hemaomas would produce an irregular thickening.Some researchers beleive that this thickening is a non-specific finding without any attributable cause. But along with your history of blood in the urine, I think it would be more appropriate for you to consider some pathological cause behind it, even if it is probably only an infection, and go for further investigation and treatment. You should consult a urologist for this.

If this answer has helped you, please click the Green "accept" button. A bonus would be welcome of course>>
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.