How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Evans Your Own Question
Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4464
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. D. Evans is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what could cause a thickening in the wall of the kidney

Resolved Question:

I had blood in my urine and on the CT scan it showed I have a thickening in the lining of my kidney. My doctor doesn't seem concerned about it but the radiologist said it needs further investigation
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Shyla replied 10 years ago.
There are several things that could be causing the thickening they are seeing. First, are you a diabetic? These people have many kidney problems that originate from chronic high blood sugar elevations. Many medications will have this affect on the thickining.

Are you on any medicaitons?
Shyla RN
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Shyla's Post: I am not diabetic. The only medication I take is Paxil 5mg and Protonix 40mg
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 10 years ago.
Renal pelvic wall thickening could be due to infection, tumor, hemorrhage or edema. IF the thickening is uniform,which i think it is in your case, it is probably due to infection or edema, and indicates a pathological condition of the kidney. Tumours nad hemaomas would produce an irregular thickening.Some researchers beleive that this thickening is a non-specific finding without any attributable cause. But along with your history of blood in the urine, I think it would be more appropriate for you to consider some pathological cause behind it, even if it is probably only an infection, and go for further investigation and treatment. You should consult a urologist for this.

If this answer has helped you, please click the Green "accept" button. A bonus would be welcome of course>>
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4464
Experience: MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
Dr. D. Evans and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you