Phil
Phil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Specialize in internal medicine and pediatrics, also have a PhD in pharmacology
1832918

Can you eat the peanut shell and all

I love dry roasted salted peanuts at the ball park. However, can you eat the shell also? I mean the very outer shell. I have read online that is is an excellent source of fiber. But I would like a doctor's opinion. I usually eat about a 1/2 cup of peanuts (with the shell on) a week. Are there any health risks to this??
Category: Health
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I have not recived an answer yet? Where do I go to view my answer?
Expert:  Phil replied 10 years ago.
Hello!

Interesting question. The only reason to be concerned about eating your peanuts with the shell on is simply one of cleanliness. Because it is assumed that folks will not be eating the outer shell, it may therefore ALSO be assumed that handlers would not need to be as clean with the peanuts in that particular form.

However, there are certainly no health-wise contraindications to you eating the outer peanut shells, and even if they are a bit dirty, that's certainly not going to kill you. My only concern would be pesticide use, although I think that's quite unlikely.

So, carry on! Enjoy your peanuts with the shell on!