Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.

I am a 50 year old woman still having periods. I have ...

Customer Question

I am a 50 year old woman still having periods. I have recently been told that I have a 5cm simple ovarian cyst. They found this as I went to my doctor for a routine physical and I had complained of the following: swollen abdomen, constant fatigue, pain in abdomen, some pain during sex and slight bleeding afterwards, change in bowel habits, feeling of urinating alot and weight gain (especially around the mid-section - an area I have never had weight problems with before).

I am not one to look for bad health - at all - but I am concerned about all my symptons. I am so tired and "just don't feel like myself at all." I can't put my finger on it, but I wish to feel better. My gyn wishes to wait 2 more cycles to visit the cyst again. Since I have had these complaints for at least 6 months, I have no idea what 2 more months will change anything. He did order a CA 125 which was within the normal range (I do not know a specific number).

Could there be anything else that is causing all these symptoms or is this standard when you have a cyst?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 10 years ago.
What you are describing are typical symptoms of a ovarian cyst. Your Gynae is on right track. At your age the chances of malignancy in ovarian cyst are high. She has ruled out malignancy by getting the CA 125 levels done. The typical symptoms of ovarian cyst are-
  • feeling of fullness in the abdomen
  • bloating of abdomen
  • pain or discomfort in the lower abdomen
  • irregular menstrual cycles sometimes
  • pain and mld bleeding during or after intercourse
  • intermittent vaginal bleeding
  • abnormal bowel movements
  • Sometimes the ovarian cyst produces excess of hormones which can lead to symptoms like fatique, mood swings and lethargy.
I believe your gynae wants to wait for two more cycyles hoping for a menopause. If you go through menopause the cyst will shrink on its own. The only points to keep in mind are- in case of very sevre pain in the abdomen, heavy vaginal bleeding or fainting sensation you need to see a doctor immediately. These symptoms are seen in case the ovarioan cyst gets twisted. Rest there is no need to worry. Your treatment is going fine.

Please ACCEPT the reply
(by pressing the GREEN accept button), and give a BONUS if it was useful. If
you need more information, just let me know.

Dr. Gupta

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Gaurav Gupta's Post: I could get more information serving the net. Unfortuately, this was dissapointing.
I am sorry that the reply that was given was not to your satisfaction, however it was recommended by two other experts too!
Please let me know what kind of additional information you were looking for,
Dr. Gupta