Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Is there any danger in airline travel with a very low hemoglobin (8)

Customer Question

My daughter has a hemoglobin of 8 and is about to embark on a vacation using airline travel. ( The low hemoglobin is due to fibroids in the uterus causing bleeding.. follow up is AFTER the trip)
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 10 years ago.
How old is your daughter? Does she have any other medical problems?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: She is 42 and has only a thyroid disorder.
Yes there is a concern: While planes are pressurized - the pressure to which they are pressurized is equivalent to an altitude of 5000-8000 feet (Denver is about 5000 feet in altitude) At higher altitudes the oxygen level is lower, and patients can indeed have problems.

It is not usually recommended to fly with a hemoglobin below 8.5 - the danger is highest in people that have a history of heart problems, stroke, chronic lung problems.

I would check with her physician about his/her specific recommendations - but I would personally advise that she should not fly with that hemoglobin, unless it was an emergency. Another consideration - using oxygen during the trip