Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,

My left arm keeps falling asleep...really just tingling ...

My left arm keeps falling asleep...really just tingling until I hold it down or shake it. I have no others problems or pain but this is getting annoying. Mainly if I have my arm up (like typing right now) it will start to tingle and feel like it's going to sleep. Should I have this checked or just wait it out? Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 10 years ago.

Tingling in a limb almost always means a pinched nerve or inflammed muscle impinging on a nerve. Sounds like in your case it may be in your shoulder or neck somewhere. Try putting a pillow under your elbow when you are typing to take weight off the shoulder area and see if that helps. You might also try cold packs and motrin or advil for inflammation.

If this doesn't help, then I suggest a trip to the doctor for further testing.