4ren6
4ren6, Medical Forensics
Experience:  Forensics Medical Forensics
796442

DOES GLASS SHOW IN AN X-RAY

IF A FRAGMENT (OR FRAGMENTS) OF GLASS(FROM A CLEAR DRINKING GLASS) WERE INBEDDED IN A CUT ON A HUMAN HAND,WOULD THE GLASS SHOW UP ON X-RAYS?
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Nash replied 10 years ago.
Dear Lady,

If the glass contains lead or some other metal, often added to give color, it will show up.

Plain glass will show up only is it causes displacement of some of the tissue structures that are visible on plain films.

If you need more information, let me know.

Teaching Doc

Doctor Nash, Professor of Medicine (MD)
Experience: I've been teaching and practicing medicine for more than 40 years.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Teaching Doc's Post: i really dont know what you mean,I cut my hand on a clear! drinking glass,the er took x-rays to see if there were any glass fragments in my hand,I dont know anything about displaced tissue ur film types.My hand is very infected and am now seeing a "infectious desease" specialist,I want to know if the x-rays were just a waist of time,they cant see ant glass so dont know if theres any there or not.i had 3 stiches and now my entire palm is a mess.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 10 years ago.

Click on my name to the bottom left. Scroll down to wards the bottom and you will see Forensic Photography listed.

In an x-ray specific for glass fragments the contrast used in the x-ray itself would need to be high enough to show the difference in "contrast" tones of skin, bone, tissue or glass. If done right with high contrast exposure it would show glass.

You did not waste your time. You may have an infection (which it sounds like) or there may have been no glass if none showed on the x-ray.

4ren6, Medical Forensics
Experience: Forensics Medical Forensics