Linda
Linda, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  7 years experience working with multiple diseases and disorders in home health.
1606482

Is it safe to take Claritin (10 mg loratadine) twice a day

Is it safe to take Claritin (10 mg loratadine) twice a day? I had a prescription for Zyrtec (10 mg cetirizine) that was prescribed for twice a day (my allergies are quite severe), but it is now expired and Claritin has since become OTC. I notice that one pill a day (10 mg of Claritin) still leaves me with a lot of symptoms, but 20 mg seems to do the trick ... I want to make sure it's safe, though.
Category: Health
Expert:  Linda replied 10 years ago.
The recommended dose is 10 mg a day. Now that it is sold over the counter, Claritin is no longer a prescription drug. I checked my older drug reference book, and even when prescribed by a doctor, the recommended dose was 10 mg, and less in cases where the patient had problems with kidneys or liver.

There was a study done with rats and mice for over 2 years, using up to 40 mg a day. The study did show an increase of some forms of cancer. Here is the website.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/lorat_wcp.htm

The best course of action is to ask you doctor for another kind of medication that would be effective. Using twice the recommended dose to get symptom relief is putting you at risk for adverse effects.