4ren6
4ren6, Medical Forensics
Experience:  Forensics Medical Forensics
796442

Dangers of Eating Earthworms

My grandson ate about 5 earth worms today at his Day Care, they were doing a Fear Factor competion and told the kids they would be eating real worms when they really had candy worms for them, but my grandson wanted to practice so he ate real ones because he did not know the competion was going to be candy worms. Is there any dangers in him eating these worms? He is 10 years old.

I have to give him credit. He has a better stomach then I do.

But in all reality he should be fine. They do carry bacteria on them and I would watch for any unusual signs of fever or flushness of the face. I would make sure that you have him gargle with an antiseptic mouth wash to be on the safe side.

May want to look at his stools for about a week for possible intestinal worms that may enter via the intestinal tract from sand or worms. Pin or hook worms would be what to look for.

If no fever or mouth sores appear then he should be back to skinning his toes in no time.

He should be fine.