ammu
ammu, Graduate
Experience:  Graduated in the field of Microbiology, Genetics & Chemistry.
1709580

miscarriage

Customer Question

how do you know if you are miscarrying,and how long does it itake to do this
Category: Health
Expert:  ammu replied 8 years ago.
Miscarriage
Facts About Miscarriage
One of the most devastating events in a woman or couples life is the loss of a baby through miscarriage. Pregnancy can be such an exciting time, but with the great number of miscarriages that occur, it is beneficial to be informed on miscarriage, in the unfortunate event that you find yourself or someone you know faced with one.

Miscarriage is the term used for a pregnancy that ends on it's own, within the first 20 weeks of gestation. Miscarriage is the most common type of pregnancy loss, according to the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Approximately 15% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage. Most miscarriages occur during the first 13 weeks of pregnancy, and many go unnoticed, due to the fact that some women do not realize they are pregnant.

Why do miscarriages occur?
There are varied reasons why miscarriages occur, and most often, the cause is not clear and cannot be identified. During the first trimester, the most common cause of miscarriage is chromosomal abnormality, meaning that something is wrong with the baby's chromosomes. 1 This would make it impossible for the baby to survive. Most chromosomal abnormalities are the cause of a faulty egg or sperm cell. Another cause of miscarriage is an abnormal hormonal imbalance that interferes with the ability of the uterus to support the growing embryo. 2 This is known as luteal phase defect. Factors that are not proven to cause miscarriage are sex, working outside the home (unless in a harmful environment) or moderate exercise.

Warning signs of a miscarriage
Brown or bright red bleeding or spotting with or without cramps
Tissue with clot like material passing from the vagina
Mild to severe back pain
Weight loss
White-pink mucus
True contractions (very painful happening every 5-20 minutes)
Frequent bowel movements
Decrease in signs of pregnancy of loss of breast tenderness
If you or someone you know experience any or all of these symptoms, it is very important contact a health professional or get to a medical facility as son as possible. A pelvic exam will be performed to check if the cervix is closed, as it should be. If the cervix is open, miscarriage is inevitable and nothing can preserve the pregnancy.

Can miscarriages be prevented?
Since the cause of most miscarriages is due to chromosomal abnormalities, there is not much that can be done to prevent them. One crucial step is to get as healthy as you can before conceiving to provide a healthy atmosphere for conception to occur.

Exercise regularly
Eat healthy
Manage stress
Keep weight in healthy limits
Take folic acid daily
Do not smoke
Once you find out that you are pregnant, once more the goal is to be as healthy as possible, to provide a nourishing environment for your baby to grow in.

Keep your abdomen safe
Do not smoke or be around smoke
Do not drink alcohol
Check with your physician before taking any over-the-counter medications
Limit or eliminate caffeine
Avoid environmental hazards such as radiation, infectious disease and x-rays
Avoid contact sports or activities that have risk of injury

How long does it take to recover from a miscarriage?
Depending on how long a woman was pregnant for, it may take several weeks to a month, or even longer to recover physically. For example, some pregnancy hormones remain in the blood for one to two months after a miscarriage. 3 Often times, emotional recovery from a miscarriage is even more difficult than the physical recovery. Allow yourself time to grieve and deal with this sudden change in your life. Those around you may not fully understand the emotions you are feeling and therefore, are not sure how to support you. Seeking out support groups, web sites and literature is a great way of getting help through this difficult time. Individuals should also consider asking their health care provider for a referral to a counselor who is experienced in dealing with pregnancy loss. 1

How long should a woman wait before attempting another pregnancy?
A woman should not attempt to become pregnant again until she is physically and emotionally ready and she has completed any tests recommended to determine the cause of the miscarriage. Medically, it appears safe to conceive after a woman has had one normal menstrual cycle. However, it may take much longer before a woman feels emotionally ready to attempt pregnancy.

Many women who have experienced a miscarriage are concerned that they will miscarry again. Fortunately, the vast majority of women who have had one miscarriage will go on to have a successful pregnancy in their next attempt, as will 60 to 70 percent of those who have experienced two or three losses.
Expert:  ammu replied 8 years ago.
Miscarriage
Facts About Miscarriage

Why do miscarriages occur?

Warning signs of a miscarriage
Mild to severe back pain
Weight loss
White-pink mucus
Frequent bowel movements

Can miscarriages be prevented?

Exercise regularly
Eat healthy
Manage stress
Keep weight in healthy limits
Take folic acid daily
Do not smoke

Keep your abdomen safe
Do not smoke or be around smoke
Do not drink alcohol
Limit or eliminate caffeine