V. Yetimyan   M.D.
V. Yetimyan M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Physician for 20 years with experience in hospital patient care.
616192

I have this dull ache in my left side of my back. I ...

Customer Question

I have this dull ache in my left side of my back. I can't tell if it's my kidney or not, but it seems to be the general area. I don't find myself having any issues urinating, no frequent urination, no blood in my urine, and the pain is very dull. I don't have a fever, I have no loss of weight, no loss of appeitite. The only concern I have, is when I went to my doctor last year for a physcial, he found protein and blood in my urine, but was not worried, so didn't give me any antibotics. Also, the year before when I went for my physcial, my urine came back with bacteria...he thought that was due to a recent yeast infection I had, so he didn't seem worried. I am just wondering if this could be my kidney, and what I should look out for that would tell me it's something serious. Any symptoms that would really stand out if it was kidney cancer, bladder cancer, kidney infection. I'm a 28 year old, rather healthy woman, who's never had any problems with her health other than reflux disease.
Category: Health
Expert:  V. Yetimyan M.D. replied 8 years ago.

Hi, Since you had some abnormal finding in the urine in the previous check -ups , i suggest to you to see a Nephrologist for a further evaluation of your previous symptoms and your current symptoms.You may need tests such as 24 hour urine collection to find out the amount of the protein in 24 hours in the urine, x-ray's, ultrasound and scan of the kidneys etc .The following conditions needs to be ruled out:

• Urinary tract (bladder) infection
  • Swelling in the filtering system of the kidneys (this is called "glomerulonephritis")
  • A stone in your bladder or in a kidney
  • A disease that runs in families, like cystic kidney disease
  • A tumor in your urinary tract (this may or may not be cancer)
  • Diabetes

In bladder and kidney cancer you loose weight and bleeding is much more. Kidney infection the urinanalysis shows signs of kidney infection like wbc etc.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to V. Yetimyan   M.D.'s Post: Is a nephrologist the same as a urologist? Also, how can I be sure that it's not muscle related instead of kidney related. I am not sure if it's my kidney or not, but it's surely in the same region. Also, when I had my two physcials, when the urine came back abnormal, my blood work was perfect. My gluclose was fine, my CBC was normal. My kidney function was normal. The only thing that was abnormal was my urine. Also, a couple of months ago I had a UTI, which I hadn't had in 10 years. Also, if I had a tumor in my urinary tract, wouldn't I have issues urinating, burning or frequent urination? Thanks for your help.

Nephrologist and Urologist take care of the same area of the body but one is surgeon and the other is internist that is internal medicine doctor.

Burning or frequent urination are usually signs of urinary tract infections especially urethritis not signs of tumor in the urinary tract.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to V. Yetimyan   M.D.'s Post: With diabetes, don't the signs usually show up as frequent urination, frequent thirst??? Also, should I go see my PCP first and then to a specialist? And since your muscles in your back can often be confused as organs...is there anyway I can differeniate between my muscles being sore and my kidney hurting?

Not always you can see the signs of the dibetes but it can cause protein in the urine.

You can see your PCP first.

In muscle pain if you doing movement involvoing that muscle it hurts but in kidney pain does not make any difference.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
If there was a serious problem with the kidney ot bladder, would the dull ache be constant or is it possible to come and go. The pain went away for a few days and now it's back.

Kidney and bladder pains can come and go.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to V. Yetimyan   M.D.'s Post: When I bend over, like to touch my toes, it seems to hurt a bit more. Is that more of a muscle problem??? It's almost like I can feel it stretching. Also, where are your kidney's at, because I am not sure this is even my kidney. It's my middle back, left side, and it kind of radiates up and down. Still sound like a kidney or bladder problem, or more muscle now????

At this time sounds like a muscle problem to me.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to V. Yetimyan   M.D.'s Post: What symptoms/signs should I look out for that would indicate something serious with my kidney or bladder? Please be specific??

Also, what would cause my urine to have bacteria one year and then blood and protein the next? Again, please be specific.

You listed a few possiblities (diabetes, urinary tract (bladder) infection, swelling in the filtering system of kidneys, a stone in bladder or kidney, cystic kidney diease or a tumor in the urinary tract), please advise other symptoms of these above mentioned ailments, and if any of them are very serious.

Also, is it possible to have reflux in my kidney? Would that cause this?

Flank pain and blood in the urine you should look for.

Bacteria is caused by the urinary tract infection

Blood in the urine can be caused by infection, stone and cancer of the urinary tract.

Protein in the urine caused by mainlly diabetes and hypertension.

Yes it is possible. Reflux is caused by the valve system at the ureterovesical (ureter-bladder) junction may be abnormal.

For more information please click the links just below:

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2838.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000521.htm

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/blood_in_the_urine/article_em.htm

http://www.nkdep.nih.gov/patients/index.htm

http://renux.dmed.ed.ac.uk/EdREN/EdRenINFObits/ProteinuriaLong.html

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to V. Yetimyan   M.D.'s Post: What is flank pain?

When I had protein in my urine, my doctor said it was a small amount, and my blood test showed no high gluclose levels. Is diabetes still a possiblity??

My doctor stated that I had a "trace" amount of blood in my urine. One of the articles you sent me says this is normal. Should I not be worried?

Flank pain is the pain located at the sides of the abdomen above the hip joints.

Yes diabetes is a possibility.

You should look to whole clinical situation. If no other symptoms related to the system it can be accepted as normal.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to V. Yetimyan   M.D.'s Post: Could a constant large intake of caffeine cause pain in my kindey area?

No. Caffeine acts like diuretic.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to V. Yetimyan   M.D.'s Post: When I take a pain reliever like Aleve, the pain seems to go away. Would Aleve take away pain from a Kidney disorder?

Yes, it would.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to V. Yetimyan   M.D.'s Post: I don't understand. How can I tell the different between flank pain, and the pain that I am feeling now? Is it more intense? Also, should I look out for fever, nausea, dizziness??? What about abdominal cramping? Does that have anything to do with the kidney area?

It is more intense.

Yes.

It has to do mostly with bladder.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to V. Yetimyan   M.D.'s Post: The pain I am having is very dull, and it seems to radiate up and down. Would a kidney disorder do that? Also, would I have a dull ache in my kidney if it was reflux?

If I don't have the flank pain, and no blood in my urine, what could be wrong with my kidney? Could I have hurt my ribs or pulled a muscle and have the same pain.

Yes, it would.

Yes, you would.

If you didn't have pain or blood but just protein, then diabetes and elevated blood pressure needs to be ruled out. If everything normal , then it is hurt ribs or pulled muscle. To make diagnosis they use radiologic imaging. It is not easy to make diagnosis most of the time . You need help from kidney doctors.