Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,

What is that black spot on my uvula

Customer Question

I have a small black spot (like a blister) near the tip of my uvula. What is it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 10 years ago.

It could be a blister, an infection, or even an ulcer. I suggest you have your doctor take a look to rule out something serious. Not to alarm you, but it is sometimes possible that it could be cancer.

Are you a smoker?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: I am a nonsmoker. I also currently have a swollen tonsil (right side) that is also covered in a white pus-like film.
Expert:  Kerry replied 10 years ago.

Okay, good! Then this is probably a scab or a blood blister resulting from your sore throat. You probably have strep. I would see the doctor for a throat culture tomorrow.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: I have two year-old amoxicillin pills (enough for a 10 day course) and I am out of town now on business.

Is this medication still good even though it "expired" a year ago?
Expert:  Kerry replied 10 years ago.

Oh my, probably not. It is probably less effective than it would be if it were fresher.

If you can tell me what city you are in, I can try to find a minute-clinic for you. These are in some pharmacies. You can see a Nurse Practioner with a Masters in Family Medicine, and get diagnosed and medicine in one spot. The price is reasonable as well.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: I am in San Francisco but flying home to Dallas tomorrow. I emailed my physician and asked about an RX that he can call in but I haven't heard back yet.....
Expert:  Kerry replied 10 years ago.

Oh shoot, there isn't one of these clinics in CA or in TX. I'm sorry! It's only in about 7 states so far.

I'll bet your doctor will give you a call back. In the mean time, make sure you are drinking lots of water, and take some ibuprofen for any pain or fever.

I hope you are feeling better real soon!