CorpsmanUp, Former U.S.Navy, Hospital Corpsman
Experience:  Over 4 years of providing direct, clinical medical care.

My 5 year old daughter has been touching herself in her ...

My 5 year old daughter has been touching herself in her private area for approximately 2.5 years now and I thought it was getting better because I wasn't catching her as often as before. I have spoken to her pediatrician in the past & the answer is always to ignore it. Accoring to him, she will outgrow this as she gets older.The problem is that as of this week, I have caught her asleep on the bathroom floor half naked two times and when I ask her what she was doing, she refuses to answer me. Then, when I threatened her with a punishment for not answering me, she told me that she was massaging herself. I then told her that I wasn't mad because she told me the truth but that little girls with good manners shouldn't do those things. I know that it is human to feel stimulation down there but my concern is that she is only 5 & that as she gets older, this situation will onlt get worse. I don't know what to do. Can anyone give me any suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  CorpsmanUp replied 10 years ago.
Is there any chance that she has been abused? I know that this is a weird question to ask but it always helps just to rule this out.

Do these episodes seem to be compulsive, like she has to do this?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to James's Post: I don't beleive she has been abused in anyway. She has been doing this for a few years now and like I stated earlier now she is hiding. I guess that she knows that it is wrong & that she shouldn't do it.
And she never does this in public?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to James's Post: No. She only does it at home. You asked before if she does this compulsively and the aanswer is no.
Even though these actions seem odd they sound to me to be completely normal. If she starts doing this in public places or if it starts to seem compulsive, you should take her to see a psychiatrists for evaluation of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). Most children of this age and up to age 7 feel the need to explore the body. I have added a great link for more detailed information:

Sexual DEvlopment of Children.pdf (application/pdf Object)

If this answer is helpful please hit the accept button. Thank you.