Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

whenever i get hot i get the worst headache ever i mean ...

whenever i get hot i get the worst headache ever i mean worse than a migrane because theres no pill that takes it away the only way it will go away is if i go to sleep for at least 6 hours and its caused by the heat if i go to a baseball game and i start to get hot just sitting there i know a headache is soon to follow ui cant dare do any kind of activity in the heat a headache will come imedietly. and yes i get very bad migranes but these headaches arent migranes is there anything i can do about this
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 10 years ago.
Despite your belief that these are not migraines - I do truely believe they are a true migraine. Most migraine patients have more than one type of migraine - and if you get HOT - you would become relatively dehydrated which by itself can cause headaches - and makes a migraine feel worse.

If you have ever had a "hangover" - one of the reasons you get a headache is the dehydrating effect of alcohol.

Steps to take:
Keep yourself WELL hydrated at all times-avoiding alcohol and caffeine since they both tend to have diuretic effects (And caffeine increases the incidence of migraines)

At the FIRST sign of a headache - I would take 800 mg of Ibuprofen AND the Imitrex at the SAME time, OR 2 Aleve and the Imitrex at the same time.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: well the thing is before i even go in the heat i do take a 800 motrin and a midrin and i always drink water so thats what leads me to believe that its not a migrane also when i get migranes i get whati think is called aura you know where icant talk cant see get numb every migrane symptom i get but so antways when i get a migrabe i take 2 midrin my headache goes through the stages and goes away these other headaches i get no aura symtoms and they dont go away i cant even prevent them
I have never had much sucess with Midrin with my patients. I would still suggest trying Imitrex rather than Midrin.

Your symptoms also sound like Heat Exhaustion (A mild form of heat illness which can progress to heat stroke)

Here is a patient education handout on the subject

Also, a physician journal article reviewing the subject - it includes a list of medications which can aggravate the condition

Midrin contains a vasoconstrictor (constricts blood vessels) which could actually contribute to heat stroke
Here are some good points from the CDC on heat related illness - symptoms and recommendations