Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,
169559

I have to urinate frequently and have to push really hard ...

I have to urinate frequently and have to push really hard to evacuate the bladder.What could be the problem. There is no pain.
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 10 years ago.

Some people don't have pain when they have an infection. You don't say if you are male or female, but if you are male, it could be that your prostate is swollen for some reason. This can cause a constriction of the urethra.

Do you have a fever? Any low back pain?

Kerry

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: I AM A WOMAN AND HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR A LONG TIME COULD IT BE NERVES?
Expert:  Kerry replied 10 years ago.

Hi Thanks for clarifying.

It could be nerves.

It could also be what is called neurogenic bladder retention.

Click here to read more.

There are medicines that your doctor can prescribe that might help you.

Kerry

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: Is neurogenic bladder a dangerous condition.What can happen if I do nothing.It is anoying but not painful.ITdoes seem worce when I am nervous.
Expert:  Kerry replied 10 years ago.

Hi

Well, it isn't necessarily dangerous if you are emptying totally most of the time. If urine is staying stagnant in the bladder it could make you more prone to infection. You will know though if you start getting a lot of infections.

As long as it isn't bothering you too much, you might wait and mention it at your next appointment.

Kerry