S. Sarisky DO.
S. Sarisky DO., Doctor
Experience:  board certified family physician 12 yrs

Can you give a 6 week old baby apple juice

Customer Question

I was told I should give my baby apple juice. But she is only 6 weeks old. I just got her. We are adopting her. And we have not had her a week yet.
Category: Health
Expert:  S. Sarisky DO. replied 10 years ago.
There is no reason to use juice at this age unless you are dealing with constipation. Formula will provide your new baby with all the essentials for the first 12 months of her life. Additional water may be given especially in the hot months when she would need more fluids. Juice is a bad habit with no benefits - apple juice is pure sugar that will bathe her teeth and set you up for extensive dental problems. Not to mention it will sway her preferences for intake and she will become a juice monkey refusing your attempts at other foods.
If baby is constipated, then juices can help to do the trick but they are in addition to the regular formula intake and would be used maybe once a day until the bowel movement is produced. It is to be diluted 4 to 1 with water being the 4
I hope this answers your question - feel free to chat if I am online with any further questions
Congratulations - I have 4 babies and they are what life is all about!