Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

i am having diarrhea, nausea, headache and some gas.

i am having diarrhea, nausea, headache and some gas. i'm afraid to eat and don't really have an appitite. I tried to eat some sop but feel queezy Is there anything I can do?? As of last Sunday I started having a few stomach problems but nothing major, mostly gas and some headache. Can you help me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

These are some meds which work in diarrhoea and vomiting;

Loperamide 2mg capsules up to 8 in 24hours for diarrhoea

Codeine 15mg - 30mg up to four times daily for diarrhoea

Mebeverine 135mg tablets three times daily for spasm

Hyoscine hydrobromide 10mg four times daily for spasm

Prochloperazine or domperidone three times daily for nausea

Once the bowel is upset, it then has problems digesting milk.
Avoid milk products for 24 hours
Drink plenty of water
Eat small bland meals
Eat fresh boiled rice as this slows down gastric transit

Cramping can be helped by dimethicone or peppermint oil capsules. Peppermint tea is really good to help settle the digestive tract.

Ensure you keep fluid levels up. If you do all the above, it should settle down in 24 - 48 hours however if you have been abroad recently, or there is blood, mucus or pus in the stool, then see your doctor. Any severe pain or temperature should also be reason to contact the doctor sooner.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Pauline's Post: This helps but can you tell be what it is that I have? Why have I had stomach/gas problems all week?
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

It could well have started with a minor episode of food poisoning, and then once your bowel was upset it reacts very badly to anything. Its very important that you kept your water intake up.

You could ask your doctor to run a stool culture but after a week, I doubt there will be anything left. Some bacteria leave toxins which cause diarrhoea and vomiting. Have you eaten anything different over last weekend? Or even started some new medication That could also be a factor.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Pauline's Post: What really started up the diareha was the chinese fried rice and egg roll i ate (attempted to eat) last night. I guess I should have known better. And really everythign started last Sunday as I mentioned after I ate some pork ribs...I'm guessing that was it.

THank you for your help. It's just today i felt like i was loosing it! nausious, diarreha and the headaches....all i've eaten today is half a piece of toast some pretzels and about a 1/4 cup of soup.

Thanks again.
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

If you don't feel like eating then start off with some dry crackers or biscuits, just nibble in small portions until your system feels better. Ginger biscuits are good as ginger is a natural antiemetic. Once you start feeling more like eating then spread peanut butter on your jam as its full of calories and protein too.

But drink plenty of water to keep your urine output up.

The headaches are either due to the food poisoning, or due to dehydration. If your urine is very concentrated start drinking rehydration solution.

Regards

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.