Lindie
Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  17+ years, Healthcare Expert
163146

ive got a sore throat, swollen gums, swollen glands,

Customer Question

i've got a sore throat, swollen gums, swollen glands, and itchy lungs...am i just experiencing a nasty cold or should i worry? i've never had the swollen gums before...is it possible for strep to take over gums?   thanks - V
Category: Health
Expert:  Lindie replied 8 years ago.

How long has this been going on? Also do you have a fever?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Lindie's Post: it's on it's third day now...i've had hot and cold flashes, but haven't actually checked body temp.
Expert:  Lindie replied 8 years ago.

If you think you may have had a fever it's possible it could be strep, but without a culture is a test. But from your symptoms it does sound as though you do have a sinus infection, which can cause all the symptoms you have. Start taking a decongestant, use a humidifier, sitting in the bathroom with the hot water running from the shower can help. Gargle with warm salt water too. If there is no change in the next couple of days, then do see your doctor, as if this is strep you may need a course of antibiotics to help clear this up.

So with the symptoms and your age, I wouldn't think anything serious at this point.

Hope this helps, If you need anything else please feel free to ask. If you found this helpful don’t forget to click the *Accept* button.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Lindie's Post: are swollend gums common?...i've never experienced that before
Expert:  Lindie replied 8 years ago.

When pressure builds up in the sinuses due to an infection or inflammation, swelling (inflammation) pain etc., can occur within the mouth as well. But do keep an eye on the area as well, since you are sick this can cause your immune system to be down, which then could cause thrush to occur in the mouth as well. So if it starts feeling really raw and sore, watch out for enlarged taste buds, a white coating etc.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Lindie's Post: i do have a white sore that started yesterday on my upper gums...anything that you could recommend to take care of that? thanks - v
Expert:  Lindie replied 8 years ago.

When you gargle with the warm salt water, swirl it around your mouth. Also eating yogurt and swirling it around your mouth as well.

But with all that said, it may be the opposite of what is going on. You may have an infected tooth, which then is causing the other symptoms, due to infection and inflammation and the infection may have gotten into the sinus cavity. Try the above for the next day, if there is no improvement, I would be seen by your doctor which then can confirm if this is a dental issue or vice versa.