V. Yetimyan   M.D.
V. Yetimyan M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Physician for 20 years with experience in hospital patient care.
616192

I have a visibly swollen lymph node under my left ear/jaw ...

Customer Question

I have a visibly swollen lymph node under my left ear/jaw bone that is sudden and really bothering me. I'm not sure, but I think this tooth whitening mouth wash may have been the cause.... It could be coincidence, but I don't think so. I tried this was two days in a row and both days my cheeks and jaw immediately reacted and there was a throbbing pain within minutes. I also have tooth impressions in the side of both cheeks indicating that my cheeks/face is swollen. Could I be having a alleric reaction to the wash? Or, do you think that the wash solution (which is basically water, alcohol and peroxide) uncovered another problem? Very weird...and frankly, I'm a little weirded out. I was thinking this is a histamine reaction, and I have loaded up on antioxidants, but still the left side persists. Ideas? This is only day three (two days of wash and one day without). The overall jaw/face pain has subsided on right, but left side has centralized the inflammation. I don't know what to do. Don't want to overreact, but don't want to be stupid either. Ideas? Thanks so much for your time.
Category: Health
Expert:  V. Yetimyan M.D. replied 8 years ago.

The possibilities are as below:

• an allergic reaction to tooth whitening mouth wash

• infected or abcessed tooth or teeth on one side or both side of the jaws.

• tumor of the Parotid salivary gland at the left side.

• left ear infection

I suggest to you to see a health care provider as soon as possible or go to an Emergency Room. In the mean time you can take over- the- counter Advil tablet and Benadryl capsule.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to V. Yetimyan   M.D.'s Post: I FEEL like it's an allergic reaction, but of what I don't know. What ingredient would be most likely for allergic reaction. Fairly certain it's not the three I listed (water, alcohol, peroxide)? There is sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium phosphate and poloxamer in the wash.

I've had two reactions in my life. One was about twenty years ago while treating a very rare (for me) ear infectin. Dr. gave me a cortisone cream. He thought the swelling was likely not due to the cortisone, but more likely the another ingredient (like sulfate). Only other reaction ever was last year to a wasp sting on my elbow that caused by elbow to balloon and it took months for the swelling and discoloration to go away. I don't visit doctors often, because I am very healthy, don't get sick, and have a very good tolerance of most things.

Do you really think this should be a trip to the e-room? I definitely have an tenderness in that left side.   Guess I'll try to see someone tomorrow. I'm just not sure where to start...Doctor or Dentist...

I'll try Benadryl tonight. But I am very curious to know about the ingredients to see if I have an allergy to a specific compound.

Thank you.

Hi, You may be allergic to " Sulfate".

If you will be able to see someone tomorrow you do not have to go to the Emergency Room.

I suggest to you to start with a doctor.

V. Yetimyan M.D., Doctor
Experience: Physician for 20 years with experience in hospital patient care.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist:
I'm sorry, but I missed providing a rating to Dr. V. Yetimyan. Rookie user. I very much appreciate having this service and the very rapid response from Dr. Yetimyan. Things "grow" in your mind when you have no one with expertise to talk to in the "middle of the night," short of adding to the overcrowding of emergency rooms. I really appreciated that Dr. Yetimyan gave me pretty specific answers. In this age of lawsuits, I expected vagueness. I'm sure I will sleep better tonight because of that connection. Regards. Linda

Thank you for the accept and the bonus. I appreciate your comment.

Regards,

Dr.Yetimyan.