Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,
169559

My husband just swallowed a whole grape and he thinks ...

My husband just swallowed a whole grape and he thinks it's lodged in his throat. He can swallow, drink, eat and breathe but he can feel it in the back of his throat and his voice is muffled. What should we do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 10 years ago.

He really needs to be seen in the ER. If it is lodged there, it can move while he sleeps and obstruct his airway. This is a potentially very dangerous thing. Please take him now.

Kerry

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: Besides going to the ER, is there anything else we can do to unlodge the grape. Personally, I feel it's not the whole grape as it would interfere with his breathing and drinking, I think it's just a grape peel stuck in the back of his throat. Is there anything else we can do?
Expert:  Kerry replied 10 years ago.

You can try having him eat a piece of dry bread. I still think if that doesn't help, the ER is the way to go.

Kerry