Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

I have a large amount of Leuk Esterase, in my Urine. My ...

Customer Question

I have a large amount of Leuk Esterase, in my Urine. My RBC, Urine is 3 and my WBC urine is 14 what could that mean, I also have >80 Ketones in the my urine.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 11 years ago.
Customer

Leuk Esterase is a test to detect white blood cells in your urine. The presence of white blood cells in the urine may indicate a urinary tract infection, cancer, or kidney disease. Inflammation, disease, or injury to the kidneys, ureters, bladder, or urethra
can cause blood in urine. Strenuous exercise can
also cause blood in urine. Large amounts of ketones in the urine may signal a dangerous condition known as diabetic ketoacidosis. A diet low in sugars and carbohydrates, starvation, or prolonged vomiting may also cause ketones in the urine.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Annie's Post: Is it serious, should i seek medical help soon or what. is 14 wbc really a whole lot and >80 a whole lot or something to worry about
Customer

Your doctor should do further testing to determine what the exact cause may be. What I listed above are possible causes of elevated levels. Normally white blood cells are not present in urine at all, so even though your number is XXXXX it still means that there could be an infection going on. For ketones, greater than 80 is considered a large amount- typically moderate is 30-40, and small less than 20. In the case of all these test results, you need to go back to your doctor so he can do further testing to determine what the exact cause may be.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Annie's Post: Could the ketones or the white blood cells have anytihgn to do with kidney failure or anything like that, cause my grandpa had a kidney transplane and that worries me and what can i do to prevent it.
Customer

Yes- it could be a sign of kidney disease. Your doctor should know your family history, so I am sure that he will do further testing to confirm or rule out kidney problems.