Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,
169559

Female problems with severe itching

I am a 36 yr old female. I have severe itching at the opening of my Urethra.   I have no discharge or burning and my urine is normal. There are also no other symptoms such as fever, fatigue, bumps or pain during intercourse. However, I have noticed I am dry most of the time (when I wipe) no natural lubricant. I have been with one partner for 3 years and he hasn't been with anyone else either. I am not taking any kind of medication (
Prescription, over the counter, or recreational) I am using hypoallergenic soap and my laundry detergent in free and clear of all dyes. My underwear is cotton crotch.   I have tried Monistat 7, plain yogurt, natural lubricant and female anti itch medication, and nothing is working. It itches continually and wakes me up out of a sound sleep. This has been going on for about two weeks and it’s starting to take a real toll on me because now I am scratching to the point I bleed. The only place that itches is exactly where a catheter would be inserted. Also, I don't know if this would make any difference but I had a child 18 months ago. Please help!
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 8 years ago.

Hello

Even though you have no fever or discharge, you may have an infection in your uterus, or in your urethra. Cystitis (urethral inflammation) can cause these symptoms. My best recommendation is to have this looked at by a doctor as you may need a course of antibiotics to clear this up.

In the mean time, keep on keeping the area as clean as possible. Soaking in a warm tub of water with baking soda should help the itch. Several baths a day if possible will help. As will letting air get to the area as much as possible. If you can, wear just house coats, or a night shirt and let the air in.

Kerry

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: is this common and do you know what could possibly cause this. I am prone to yeast infections but not UTI's its all new to me.

thank you so much
Expert:  Kerry replied 8 years ago.

Rather than being a full blown UTI, where the bladder is involved, I believe you may just have an inflammed urethra. This can happen when we have less natural lubrication for sure. Natural lubrication has some antibiotic properties in that it can fend off things like this. Add friction to that (if you are sexually active) and it causes a cycle to happen.

I also recommend avoiding the baby oil. Use a K-Y product that has no fragrance. This will be best for your situation.

And the warm baths with soda, will help too.

You may not have to see a doctor if this clears it up.

Hope that helps!
Kerry

Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,