Christy Hammond
Christy Hammond, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Experience:  I have a B.S.N and more than 10 years of training and experience in patient care and education
902388

Can a groin hernia make your back hurt

I have a groin hernia located in the groin on the right side, the right side of my back has been hurting like a pinched nerve. Could the hernia be causing this.
Category: Health
Expert:  Christy Hammond replied 10 years ago.
Yes, the hernia related pain can radiate and cause lower back pain.    Surgical repair is generally necessary. Until then no lifting, avoid coughing or straining, and avoid becoming constipated. If you do not have a support garment you can get one through your Physician. Some men prefer to wear a supportive-usually neoprine type shorts either over the other garment or (if the hernia causes only mild symptoms) alone.

One place online to order one is:

http://www.physioroom.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=316&zenid=688dbe2c7912354a5908584c7293a30e

Repair and support of the hernia should resolve your back pain.

Good luck to you!