Jonathan Fay, M.D.
Jonathan Fay, M.D., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician health consultant
920358

What could be the cause of low body temperature. My temp ...

What could be the cause of low body temperature. My temp this a.m. is 95.9. Yesterday it was 96.3 for part of the day. I have Parkinson's, fibromyalgia, costochondritis and atherosclerosis. This isn't the first time I have had this low tep. i have told my internal medicine dr. on a number of occasions and he doesn't seem to think much of it and has never given a suggestion of what could be the cause.   I feel weak at that time and then after a few hours it might leave and return to normal which for me is usualy 97.5 I am taking parkinson's meds, Darvocet, Celebrex, Xanax for anxiety.   My blood pressure has been low,sometimes 108/56. I used to be on med for hypertension but was taken off a year ago. i am 74 years old. i am in an exercise program for senior citizens.
Thank you,
Carolyn Schloegel
Category: Health
Expert:  Jonathan Fay, M.D. replied 8 years ago.
This could just be a normal variation in body temperature, and that may be why your physician didn't have a lot to say about. Although you often hear "98.6" as the "normal" body temperature, this is not exactly accurate.

During the day it is very normal for body temperature to fluctuate quite a bit, and for some individuals a lower number is XXXXX (this may be true for you) and for others a higher number is XXXXX So your baseline numbers and the amount that your temp. fluctuates is not unusual.

In addition, your temperature will also depend on how it is taken. The temperature in your mouth or armpit will be different than that rectally, and is generally a degree or more cooler.

So I wouldn't worry too much about this, in my opinion. The weakness that you describe could very well be part of your fibromyalgia and even might be related to your Parkinson's.

It sounds like you are doing many great things to remain and keep yourself healthy, and congratulations on stopping the high blood pressure medication and on the exercise. Your temperature variation doesn't sound unusual at all.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Take care.
Jonathan Fay, M.D., Doctor (MD)
Experience: Physician health consultant
Expert:  Simmons replied 8 years ago.
Some causes for body temperature to be abnormally low(hypothermia)are:
HYPOTHYTOIDISM
COLD EXPOSURE
AN INFECTION ALSO MAY BE PRESENT, PARTICULARLY WITH NEW BORNS AND OLDER ADULTS.
SHOCK
ALCOHOL OR DRUG USE
CERTAIN METABOLIC DISORDERS such as diabetes and hypothyroidism (mentioned above).
A temperature below 95.6 is too low. If your body temperature is too low it can be serious, even life threatening.

An overwhelming infection, such as Gram-negative sepsis, may also cause an abnormally low body temperature.
I think it would be wise to chart your temperature and show it to your doctor and do not let him ignore this.
My granddaughter kept telling her mom she was cold and her temperature kept being below normal. My daughter took her to the doctor and she had a bad sinus infection.
Her temperature had gone down not up from the infeciton.
You said you temperature was 95.9.
That is just above hypo-thermia.
Low body temperature can cause weakness and can be a cause of an underlying problem.
Yes Weakness can be caused by parkinsons but I think that it is worth having yourself checked for hypotyroid, or an infection.
Also Xanax is a good drug for anxiety but it may also slow things down a bit.
Xanax can also cause weakness, especially in seniors. It can lower your blood pressure.
Darvoset can also cause weakness.
These or just some things you can ask your doctor to check.

Deann