Deborah
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality
761613

There is a sharp pain right next to my adams apple.

Customer Question

There is a sharp pain right next to my adam's apple. Everytime i swallow it hurts pretty bad. Also everytime i move my neck left and right the same spot hurts. Im not sure if its just soar or somethin more worse.
Category: Health
Expert:  Deborah replied 10 years ago.
It could be a thyroid nodule or swollen lymph nodes. Have you had a fever?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thyroid-nodules/DS00491

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lymphadenitis/HQ01039
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: No Fever. I do a lot of kickboxing, and other martial arts. But I dont recal me getting hit in the neck.
Expert:  Deborah replied 10 years ago.
The best advice I can give you is to have it checked. My daughter just turned 22. She had the same thing. Imn her case it was a thyrod nodule and she had to have it removed. She is ok.

As you say it hurts, it is better to have it checked. Make an appointment with a otolaryngolist (ENT - ears, note and throat specialist)

My other question is, can you feel anything on the sides of your adams apple, or also above & below it?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: I dont feel anything, but it hurt when i touch the sides of my adams apple. I probably will go check it out. For now im just gonna put some ice on it. Unless you suggest anything.
Expert:  Deborah replied 10 years ago.
Ice might help. Do you have any Advil or Motrin?

If you do take four 200mg tablets every six hours. This is considered a prescription dose and helps better relieve pain.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: Thanks a lot. So i take it i should get it checked out before fighitng again. But thats cool. Thanks again 4 ur time.
Expert:  Deborah replied 10 years ago.
I would not fight until you get it checked. Take the Motrin or Advil like I said four tablets every six hours. If the ice doesn't help, try a heating pad.