Deborah
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality
761613

What can you tell me about cocks comb injections ...

Customer Question

What can you tell me about cocks comb injections that are for arthirits?? A lady was telling that her doctor gave her three shots and it helped her arthirits. I am under the impression that it comes from the flower celosia, not sure of the spelling. Thank you
      Veronica [email protected]
Category: Health
Expert:  Deborah replied 10 years ago.
Occasionally, your doctor may suggest injecting a joint space with a corticosteroid, which can offer some pain relief and reduce inflammation. Injecting hyaluronic acid derivatives into knee joints (viscosupplementation) can relieve pain from osteoarthritis. Hyaluronic acid is a component of joint fluid, and hylan G-F20 (Synvisc) and sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan, Supartz, Nuflexxa) are derivatives made from cockscomb. Patients have good results from this. I worked for a major insurance company for years and gave the authorizations for the patients to have these injections and the patients always said they helped.

It is with discussing with your orthopedic specialist.

Sodium hyalyronate is a kind of acidic viscous amylose extracted from connective tissues such as cockscomb. The solution is transparent and with good elasticity. Since it was discovered in the 1940s, a lot of studies have been performed on its distribution, structure and functions. In 1960 for the first time it was used in the complicated retina separation surgery with ideal effects. Since that time its clinic application has been widely promoted. Currently it is widely applied in eye surgeries in the USA. It has become a necessity in eye surgery and every year more than one million patients benefit from it. What's more, it is also used widely in orthopedic surgery. Because of its ability to provide stability of membrane pressure in the synovia sac, HA is the ideal lubricant between two joint surfaces. It can also repair the joints. And it also have very good curing effects for arthritis, especially osteal arthritis (OA).