Lori
Lori, Health Advisor
Experience:  16 yrs experience with a variety of complicated medical issues. Exercise and Nutrition Enthusiast.
339276

My stool is flat and has been for a couple of months.

Customer Question

My stool is flat and has been for a couple of months. Could this be a prolapsed colon?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.

HI Maggie,

I believe you should report this to your doctor for further investigation. Several things can change the shape of the stool, including a narrowing or IBS, but having flat stools are also sometimes a sign of colorectal cancer. If there are growths in that area, it can compress the stool and it comes out flat. You don't mention any other symptoms, but I would see the doctor for an exam just the same.

Lori, Health Advisor
Experience: 16 yrs experience with a variety of complicated medical issues. Exercise and Nutrition Enthusiast.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I would like to know what the some of the symptoms of Colorectal Cancer may be....
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 10 years ago.
Customer

When it first develops, there may be no symptoms at all. As the cancer grows, it can cause changes. Common signs and symptoms include a change in the frequency of bowel movements, diarrhea, constipation, or feeling that the bowel does not empty completely, either bright red or very dark blood in the stool, stools that are narrower than usual, general abdominal discomfort such as frequent gas pains, bloating, fullness, and/or cramps, weight loss with no known reason, constant tiredness, and vomiting.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Annie's Post: ....thank you, Andy. I may have one or two of those symptoms, besides the flat stool but, unfortunately, I do not have health insurance and cannot afford to go to a doctor. I do have pain in my hip area that shoots down my legs and makes them weak sometimes. Is it possible the stool is flat temporarily and means nothing?
Customer

As far as the pain from the hip down the legs it could be a nerve problem which if it continues I would try and see a doctor. As far as the stool I would have to agree with Lori about getting it checked out. Most doctors these days are willing to work out some type of payment plan for those without insurance. I think for safety's sake it would be best to get it checked out.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Annie's Post: Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I will call a doctor today....
Customer

You're very welcome. :)