Jonathan Fay, M.D.
Jonathan Fay, M.D., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician health consultant

will my health insurance company help pay for a swimming ...

will my health insurance company help pay for a swimming pool if my doctor says I need one for a health condition?
Category: Health
Expert:  Jonathan Fay, M.D. replied 10 years ago.
I don't know exactly, but I'm guessing (as you probably suspect) no. In general, hydrotherapy is a great rehab and physical therapy tool. Many people can use it, and it is available at some physical therapy and rehab centers. As such, I would imagine that insurers would be unwilling to pay for installation of a home pool, when they could just pay for the visits to a PT or rehab location.

It might be possible, however, if you are severely disabled, and only capable of movement or significant clinical therapy by this route, and would have to have continuing visits to a PT or rehab institution for eternity that an insurer might consider the one-time cost (versus years of potential fees). Possible, but I doubt it. Ask your insurer, and try and get more than one person's opinion - often, I have found that if one person says no, another might just say yes.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Take care.