V. Yetimyan   M.D.
V. Yetimyan M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Physician for 20 years with experience in hospital patient care.
616192

Intestinal problems after Hysterectomy

I had a total hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and have been suffering with intestinal problems. 5 days after surgery started with terrible gas pains and feelings of pains within my colon all the time.. I was given Flagyl which helped a little bit but now 4 weeks later still have swelling and discomfort on my right side.. Also, still get pains after eatting more than a tiny portion of food. Bad gas pains in the morning until I've had a BM.. But botXXXXX XXXXXne is a constant pressure, pain in my intestines.. Surgeon says it's all part of post op????
Category: Health
Expert:  V. Yetimyan M.D. replied 11 years ago.

You may have Gallbladder disease giving you the symptoms that you have described. An Ultrasound of the Gallbladder is helpful to make a diagnosis. Other causes can be Duodenal and Gastric Ulcer, Gastritis , exccessive Caffeine intake etc.

Please click the green accept button if my answer is helpful to you. A positive feedback rating and a bonus would be encouraging. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask. Take care , Dr.Yetimyan.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to V. Yetimyan   M.D.'s Post: I had my Gallbladder removed 25 years ago and I don't drink anything with caffeine. I did have an issue with IBS years ago so not sure if this is something to do with that. I have a swelling and constant pressure on my right side.. I do not believe an ulcer can just start 3 days after surgery.. If it is gastritis.. how long does that last and what is a cure for it?

Hi, Most gastritis improves rapidly with treatment. Antacids or other medications like over - the- counter Tagamet HB tablet and Maalox tablet to decrease or neutralize gastric acid in the stomach will usually eliminate the symptoms and promote healing. To read more about Gastritis please click the link below:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000240.htm#Expectations%20(prognosis)

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to V. Yetimyan   M.D.'s Post: does gastritis cause swelling (it has been swollen since surgery), constant pressure, gas and pain in the lower right side of my stomach..

You may have the symptoms of Dyspepsia . Yes Gastritis can cause it as well as other conditions such as eatng fatty , greasy, spicy foods , smoking , alcohol consumption , medications. For more informayion about Dyspepsia please click the link below:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003260.htm