Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  17+ years, Healthcare Expert

I have a large puss filled lump on the back of my neck ...

I have a large puss filled lump on the back of my neck (like a pimple). The affected is a little larger than a quarter. The lump exerts a larg amount of preasure causing pain and redused mobility of my neck. This appeared about 2 days ago. Any idea what this is and how I can take care of it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lindie replied 10 years ago.

Sounds as though you have a boil. Generally to squeeze is it not recommended, which can cause further infection. Apply a warm moist compress to the area several times a day, this will help draw out the pus along with help with pain. You can also take ibuprofen which will help with the inflammation and pain too. If there is no change by Monday by doing the above, then you should see your doctor, he may have to lance this and get the core of the infection out. Also wash the area well with antibacterial soap, you can put neosporin on the area too.

Hope this helps, If you need anything else please feel free to ask. If you found this helpful don’t forget to click the *accept* button!

Expert:  Lindie replied 10 years ago.

Hi, I was just checking to see if you had any further questions regarding the above, if you do please feel free to ask, if not please click the accept to close out the question.

Thank you