Marie, Dentistry/Healthcare/Counselor
Experience:  25 year in dental/health care/counsel women/families/alcohol/drug

What does it mean if your tongue turns blue not from ...

Customer Question

What does it mean if your tongue turns blue not from eating foods, just turns blue?
Category: Health
Expert:  Marie replied 10 years ago.
Does the tongue look like it is "hairy"? How old are you? Is this on the sides, or the flat of the tongue?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Marie's Post: No the tongue is not hairy, it is actually my mother and she is 48, and it is located on the flat of the tongue.
Expert:  Marie replied 10 years ago.
This is tough one. I've been in dentistry for 25 years and I only saw this twice. Since your Mom's tongue does not appear hairy, then is the only thing I know in this country. Blue tongue is a common in cattlle in Europe and Asia. Often humans can "catch this" but is typically common in Indonesia and the mosquitoe is usally the carrier. If none of this fits your Mom, then have her brush her tongue gently. Use warm salt water rinses 4 times a day and see if this resolves. If not contact me and I will try to find something else.

Click the "acccept" buttom to let me know I helped!