BRENDA BACKUS
BRENDA BACKUS, Personal/Home Care Aide
Experience:  I HAVE TAKEN CARE OF ALL AGES OF SICK PEOPLE AND I FEEL THAT I HAVE DEALT IN A LOT OF DIFFERENT AREA
960155

What is the longest time a person has lived after

Customer Question

What is the longest time a person has lived after being treated for breast cancer
Category: Health
Expert:  Deborah replied 8 years ago.
There are many variables and each individual is different.   Some women have survived well into their 80's.

Here is some information.

Breast cancer statistics show that over 1.2 million persons will be diagnosed with breast cancer worldwide this year, according to the World Health Organization. For breast cancer and prevention, it has long been known that regular physical activity has been shown to decrease the likelihood of having breast cancer. What has not been known or studied has been the effect of regular physical activity on the breast cancer survival rates or likelihood of death in women that already have breast cancer. That is, until now.

The breast cancer statistics and findings as reported by the American Medical Association’s Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) in May 2005 were astounding! Certain participants in the study of women with Stage I, II or III breast cancer achieved a 50% reduction in the death rate from breast cancer.

Here are these breast cancer statistics: the journal reported that in the study 2,987 female registered nurses had been diagnosed with breast cancer during the years 1984-1998. What the study found was that the women who had physical activity equivalent to walking at a steady pace of 2.0-2.9 miles per hour for 3-5 hours a week had a death rate of only 50% of the death rate of women who had physical activity equivalent to walking less than one hour a week. The conclusion of the breast cancer statistics in the study was that physical activity after breast cancer has been diagnosed may reduce the risk of death from breast cancer. The study found that there was little evidence of any relation between increased physical activity and increased benefit.

if you havemore questions, let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: What I asked was "After treatment, what is the most number of years on record of survival?"
Expert:  BRENDA BACKUS replied 8 years ago.
YOU REALLY CAUGHT MY ATTENTION WITH THIS ONE..I HAVE A DEAR FRIEND AT CHURCH THAT HAD TO HAVE BOTH HER BREAST REMOVED DUE TO CANCER, SO FAR SHE IS A 7 YEAR SURVIVOR, BUT I DID MORE RESEARCH AND FOUND THE OLDEST SO FAR IS TEN YEARS INTO HER SURVIVORSHIP AND MANY MORE AT EIGHT YEARS..THE TEN YEAR SURVIVOR IS FROM CHINA.I'M STILL RESERCHING IF I FIND OLDER I WILL E-MAIL..IF YOU ACCEPT THIS ANSWER PUSH THE ACCEPT BUTTON..BRENDA
BRENDA BACKUS, Personal/Home Care Aide
Experience: I HAVE TAKEN CARE OF ALL AGES OF SICK PEOPLE AND I FEEL THAT I HAVE DEALT IN A LOT OF DIFFERENT AREA
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: I was trying to determine the most number of years a person has lived after being treated (chemo, radiation, surgery or all of the above) for breast cancer
THAT IS FOR ALL THE ABOVE..BUT I'M STILL SEARCHING..IT'S REALLY INTERESTING..BRENDA
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to BRENDA BACKUS's Post: Thank you for your answer. For your records, my mother had a bi-lateral radical mastectomy performed about 1954 ( that's right - 52 years ago) and is still alive and well in 2006. so well, in fact, that she re-married in 2005 at the age of 84. She still drives, and performs all of her daily maintenance on her own. I was just wondering if her case was as exceptional as I thought and I guess it is.
Expert:  Deborah replied 8 years ago.
It it all in the genes and she has come from a wonderful gene pool.

The mention of your mother living into her 80's goes along with the recent research-- keeping active seems to help the survical rate.

I believe I answered your question when I stated a"well into their 90's"

I was just providing you with some extra info that substantiate how some people can beat the oadds.

According to an article in JAMA (June 2002) it was thought that some researchers found that in those women that maintained a positive outlook, good nutrition, regular exams with their MD-- lived into their normal lifespan. Average age 72 with wome exceeding that.

Expert:  Deborah replied 8 years ago.
(excuse any typos-- I am working with one good eye. Had some surgery on the other eeye)
WOW YOUR MOTHER IS OUTSTANDING !!!IT JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU HOW FAITH AND THE WILL TO LIVE WILL KEEP YOU GOING..SOME OF THE ARTICLE'S I'VE READ SAID BACK THEN THE AGE OF WOMEN LIVING LONG AFTER THAT TYPE OF SURGERY WAS UNUSUAL..WHICH MEANS TO ME YOUR MOTHER HAS A GREAT WILL TO LIVE...THANKS BRENDA