Dr. F.
Dr. F., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Sleep Disorders
749629

Hello What does an elevated ANA with Reflux blood test

Hello
What does an elevated ANA with Reflux? blood test mean? What causes it and what can be done for it?
Thanks so much.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. F. replied 8 years ago.
An ANA stands for anti nuclear antibody and can be elevated in older individuals or people who have some type of autoimmune disease such as lupus.

There is not a blood test called ANA reflux.

If an ANA is positive there are other antibody tests which should be done to determine what type of autoimmune disorder you have. For example a double stranded DNA is a specific test for Lupus.

If you have more info on the "reflux" word please feel free to send it to me so I can clarify it for you.

Expert:  Dr. F. replied 8 years ago.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. F.'s Post: Thank you Dr. On the lab order, that is what it said, ANA (with reflex or reflux) in parenthesis just like this. I was told that I have inflammation in my blood and that is what showed in the elevated ANA test. I have to retest in one month. Nothing else was ordered. I have Fibromyalgia, and am on Effexor XR 150mg and Diflusinal 500mg twice a day. Don't understand why I have inflammation in the blood. Please help.
Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. F. replied 8 years ago.
The ANA is a blood test but does not mean inflammation OF the blood, it simply means that this inflammatory substance is found in the blood test. There are a variety of other inflammation tests detected in the blood also including SED rate, CRP etc. Each of these tests is determining that somewhere in the body there is inflammation (not inflammation of the blood). Sometimes tests are wrong., Repeating it in one month is a good idea but I would recommend some other clarifying tests especially since fibromyalgia symptoms can be similar to some inflammatory conditions. An example could be polymyositis which is an inflammation of the muscles. Some confirming tests might include ANA double stranded for lupus, Rheumatoid factor which can detect rheumatoid disease, SED Rate as another indicator of inflammation, and quite a few others.You can also look this up on a website www.webmd.com and on the Mayo clinic site
Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need any other info.
Dr. F., Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Sleep Disorders