Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...

Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Voc Rehab Counselor, M. Ed.
Experience:  Disability/Rehab Consultant. Broad knowledge of many chronic and acute health problems.

My right index finger is constantly cold and gets numb ...

My right index finger is constantly cold and gets numb every now and then. The tip also looks bruised most of the time these days. It is the only finger that bother's me. I used to wear a ring on it and stopped doing so about a month ago. No change in the way it feels thus far. I am a 33 year old male in great shape. No other medical problems that I am aware of. Coe
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 8 years ago.

Hello

Sounds like a pinched nerve. If this is the case, it is most likely in your first knuckle of the finger or the wrist. If you have a job, or do repetative motion activities with your hand, this could also be the cause.

Or, it could be the beginning stages of what is called Raynaud's.

click here to read more about Raynaud's.

Kerry

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: It doesn't sound like Raynauds since this is a constant issue with my finger. If it is nerve damage from possibly wearing a ring, what can I do about it?

Coe
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I sent a reply ,but no answer was received. Raynaud's doesn't sound likely based on my situtation
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 8 years ago.
Hi Coe,

I recommend that you try over-the-counter Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug (NSAID)
therapy -- the purpose of which would be to reduce inflammation of the
involved tissues -- resulting in improved nerve function and a
reduction in your symptoms. You may have to try several different
Nsaids in order to find the one that works best with your body.

If conservative treatment does not provide relief -- I recommend that
you make an appointment with (or get a referral to) a neurologist --
who can run tests, such as an Electomyelogram and/or a Nerve Conduction Study to determine the
cause and extent of what is almost certainly a nerve problem.

Click the above Link(s) for additional information.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, thanks for the
opportunity to assist you... Please honor my efforts by Clicking the
green 'Accept' button (located within this post -- above-right).
Adding a bonus -- should you wish to do so -- would be warmly welcomed.

Good Luck!

Steve

Experience: Disability/Rehab Consultant. Broad knowledge of many chronic and acute health problems.