Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

what is meaning of heterogeneous mass in the lower ...

what is meaning of " heterogeneous mass in the lower pole of left kidney measuring 2.0 cm"

It means that there is some tissue in the left kidney (2cm in size) which is made up of different types of cells. In general the more types of cells in a mass or lesion, the better the news.

Does this answer your question?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Pauline's Post: I am worried that those kind of mass will damage my kidney because somebody said outside kidney it is not harmful but i am just worried before i go for further mri to reevaluated pl explain me this is common for most of cases?
I will need to investigate specifics, I can get back to you in about six hours time if that is helpful
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.

I do apologise for not getting back to you. Unexpected family illness has taken up my time, but if no other expert responds I will get back to you.

Thanks for your patience

This type of mass does require thorough investigation. You do not mention what the doctors have told you, nor what symptoms you presented with. There are a number of reasons or finding a mass in a kidney.

Two common explanations for such descriptions are harmless cysts or a tumour. Also inflammatory lesions can appear as masses too. Full investigations may include biopsy. Full blood counts, kidney function tests etc will also be required.

You need to be prepared for the possibility that you may have an element of kidney damage, in addition depending upon the exact nature of the problem, you may require surgery or other more rigerous treatment. However, your other kidney can take over a lot of the excretion processes so do not get overly worried about this at the moment.

This article is written from the scientific point of view but covers all the classes of lesion.

I hope this gives you the information you need. I'm sorry that I do not know your history, or what the doctor has told you so far. Please do not sit and worry about the information I have given here. It may not be appropriate for your case but what it does do, is give you all the possible options as they stand at the moment.

If I can help any more, let me know. I'll try and look in on the site tomorrow.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Pauline's Post: Pauline

I am really grateful for your concern about me. I was checking everywhere and still I am checking what to do. Finally I did MRI-Abdomem today and I will be able to find out thru my physician on Friday what is happening in my kidney. I will refer other people in this areas about your name to contact in future. You are so good like a family member person. I appreciated from my heart your concern and feeling. God bless you.I am in Washington DC area in USA.

Many Many thanks