Jonathan Fay, M.D.
Jonathan Fay, M.D., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician health consultant

I have to take 2 grams of folic acid a day-they come in 800 ...

I have to take 2 grams of folic acid a day-they come in 800 mcg caps-how many would I have to take to get 2 grams
That is a phenomenal amount of folic acid. If you don't mind me asking, why are you taking such high levels? The general federal recommended daily allowance of folate is 400 mcg, and for certain disorders it is recommended that individuals take something slightly higher like 600-800 mcg. With pregnancy it is recommended as a part of a good prenatal vitamin course that a woman take 600 mcg, and if they have had a previous child with spina bifida (or a related "neural tube defect" disease) it is recommended that they 2000-4000 mcg, which equals 2-4 milligrams (mg). These are the highest doses ever recommended. You are speaking of doses a 1000 times higher than that.

At doses above 15000 mcg (15 mg = .015 g), people can experience substantial side effects, including seizures, stomach problems, skin problems, and sleep problems. I would wholeheartedly discourage you from taking it anywhere near this level.

You should contact your physician and discuss this with him, and hopefully he can steer you in the right direction.

I'm going to assume that you actually meant that you needed 2 milligrams of folic acid a day (a high-normal dose). This would require 2 and 1/2 of your 800 mcg pills.

If you actually meant 2 grams, then this would require a staggering 2,500 pills a day. That cannot be correct!

I hope that I was of some help. 2000 mcg (which = 2 mg) is a very high normal dose, but this value is recommended by some practictioners for some disorders. Please contact your physician if you are considering anything greater, and let them know about this high level of supplementation as well.

Take care