Jonathan Fay, M.D.
Jonathan Fay, M.D., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician health consultant

I have been told that I had an aneurysm in my right eye and ...

I have been told that I had an aneurysm in my right eye and that the vessel would heal itself over a period of time. I am still seeing blood in my eye when I tilt my head forward. Should I have surgery to save my eyesight?
Category: Health
Expert:  Jonathan Fay, M.D. replied 10 years ago.
If you have been told (by a physician, either your primary care physician or an ophthalmologist) that the vessel would heal itself, then I would have to agree with them. If it has been a while since your diagnosis, however, and things have worsened, then get an additional opinion to make sure that things haven't changed.

If what you're experiencing is blood in the anterior chamber of the eye (hyphema, if memory serves me) then this does, in fact, often resolve on its own. The eye has an ability, apparently, to resorb blood. Below, is the link to a good website that might answer additional questions about hyphema:

So if it appears to be healing, then it should resorb over time. If it hasn't, however, have it seen again and reevaluated. Better safe than sorry, in my opinion.

I hope that I have been of some help. Take care
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Jon Fay's Post: How long does it usually take for the bleeding to stop. My vision is cloudy and I can still see blood drops.
Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, and I'm also sorry that your symptoms have persisted for so long! I'm sure that it's very troubling to be seeing blood in your eye.

Hyphema, from my understanding, typically resolves in days to weeks. Depending on the nature of the hyphema, however, treatment can vary. In any case, your ophthalmologist should have given you explicit instructions about what to expect. In certain cases, the patient is advised to rest, and even medications to rest the eye and an eye patch can be involved. Your ophthalmologist should also be following you closely. And if your symptoms have worsened (if there is more blood now, or if you have eye pain), then you should be seen again immediately.

In addition, if you were not given answers by your eye doctor about what to expect, you should ask for this. You have a right to be properly informed about your health-care.

So make sure that you are receiving the appropriate treatment and follow-up by calling your eye doctor.

I hope that I have been of some help, and take care