Lindie
Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  17+ years, Healthcare Expert
163146

How serious is an earache for a 4 year old child

Customer Question

my son complained about his ear one night 3 weeks ago and hasnt complained again until 2 days ago and after childrens motrin and earache drops & ear cleaning drops, he seems to be ok but still has a slight fever. he had a fever all night last night but in the morning it was gone. i just want to know when a doctor needs to be involved or if he does.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lindie replied 8 years ago.

At this point with him not having a fever steady you can give him Tylenol or Motrin according to directions on the package. Sit with him in the bathroom with the hot shower running which will create steam, this can help relieve the vacuum due to the eustachian tube being blocked. Warm compress to the ear as well. There are some ear drops that can be purchased OTC too. Check with the pharmacist. If this doesn't help within 24-36 hours then do have your child seen. An antibiotic may be needed. If he continues to run a fever again for the next 24-36 hours, then do call his doctor as well. If after you try the above and he still says it's hurting then you may want to have it looked at as well, since at that point you have done about all you you can for home treatment.

Hope this helps, If you need anything else please feel free to ask. If you found this helpful don’t forget to click the *accept* button!

Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Experience: 17+ years, Healthcare Expert
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Lindie's Post: last night, i gave him earache drops for the first time and childrens motrin. this morning i used a ear wax cleaner(drops) and he said his ear didnt hurt anymore but his fever/headache is still occuring slightly...but he only complained of pain once 3 weeks ago and the second time 2 days ago. it seems to go away or has gone away. a nurse looked into his ear and recommended a humidifier and otc ear drops, i just wanted to be sure of how serious it is at this point. his appetite has decreased just a little in the last 2 days but he is doing everything else he enjoys.
Expert:  Lindie replied 8 years ago.
I would go ahead and do the steam today and tonight before bed time.. If he still has the fever and his appetite hasn't come back then have him be seen tomorrow. Children can become dehydrated quicker than an adult. I don't know how long ago the nurse looked in his ears. It's a good sign if he says it doesn't hurt. But I am more concerned that he hasn't eaten too much. Just because they can become dehydrated easily. You may want to try to increase his fluid intake as well. Gatorade would be good. Generally rule of thumb when it comes to fevers. Anything over 103 needs attention or any low grade fever that lasts for over 48 hours needs to be checked out. If he's not complaining about the ear pain, the don't give drops at this point. It's a tough call at this point, especially since I don't know what is actual temp is running. Since it's been a couple of day though, (I don't know what time it is where you are at--to have him seen) but if the temp is low grade and continues then perhaps tomorrow would be a good time for him to be seen if there is no change after the steam shower in the bathroom and more fluids.