Christy Hammond
Christy Hammond, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Experience:  I have a B.S.N and more than 10 years of training and experience in patient care and education

Women on a 30-35 day cycle ovulating on day 19 or

Allot of Women on a 32-35 day cycle or over, ovulating on day 19 or over, are told their eggs are not as good quality because the egg took longer to develop in the follicle and burst. Surely if the cycle is longer,the egg started developing later. Why are women with longer cycles told they ovulate late if its after day 19? a later cycle means a later ovulation by nature. Why are they told the egg won't be as good after day 19?If she ovulated earlier she would have a shorter cycle.. Is there any proof the eggs are of less quality? So many women ovulate late-or is it 'late' if the cycle is longer. After day 19 I've read the egg is poor quality and can cause miscarriage or birth defects-but women with longer cycles will ovulate day 19 or over? Anyone on a 35 day cycle will ovulate on day 21,someone on a 33 day cycle will ovulate on day 19 as everyone ovulates 14 days before the next period-so all these women have supposedly dodgy eggs-I'm very troubled by this!! Thank-you for your time and help!

Don't confuse ovulating late in a cycle with late in life. That does not in and of itself make it a bad egg. There are many factors that contribute to the quality of the egg. After 35-40 the quality and quantity of women's eggs deteriorate. This does not preclude safe healthy pregnancy but calls for precautions.

However, if you ovulate very late in a cycle, chances are that implantation is impaired because both the egg and the endometrium are older.

Many doctors believe that "late ovulation" -- after cd20 or so -- decreases your chance of conception for several reasons. You (mathematically) ovulate less over [the course of] time. The endometrial lining is, later on, less receptive to receive the egg. And also, the egg is supposedly less receptive to fertilization. Induction of ovulation at an earlier time may improve your chances of getting pregnant.

Your doctor can review ways to manipulate ovulation days in your cycle.

For long cycles the entire process is stretched out and each step takes a longer period of time, so instead of the development starting later for example it takes longer instead.

I found no eveidence that the eggs were damaged or defective genetically. It seems to be more a complicating factor for conceiving, not a danger to a healthy pregnancy.

I hope my information is helpful. If you have additional questions I will gladly answer them, otherwise please click "ACCEPT". "POSITIVE FEEDBACK" and a "BONUS" would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Christy Hammond's Post: Hello, Thanks for your answer. Can I just ask abit more...I was refering to women of all ages on a 32,33,35 day cycle..I did read up that the LP phase (time just after you ovulated) is very important length wise so the egg can develop in the lining-I've read anything less than 10 days would not be sufficent to receive the egg as the lining would of started to fall away. Lets say Patient 1 has a 35 day cycle so she ovulates on day 21-she doesn't ger her period until 14 days later meaning the LP had had sufficient time to develop and receive the egg...she becomes pregnant..
Then we have patient 2 with a 35 day cycle-but she ovulates on day 26 and gets her period on day 35 leaving only 9 days for the LP. Her ovulation was out of sink with the lP...
Patient 1 however had ovulation 14 days before her period and a good LP on a 35 day cycle but doctor B said because you ovulated 'late' that egg might not be so good. She goes home pregnant and worried about miscarriage and or birth defects. patient 1 could be 21 or 36 as women of all ages have a 35 day cycle..
She returns home thinking-my body has always produced a 35 day cycle and surely my eggs start developing later than a 28 day cycle because my cycle is longer. Was this fertilized egg really older-took longer to mature? Did they develop at the same rate in the follicles as a woman on a 28 day cycle or did 1 burst out later on because of my longer cycle.....many thanks for answering.. :-)sorry-the point being that telling Patient 1 she ovulated late has to be incorrect-because her 35 day cycle is called normal,so ovulating on day 21 surely was normal-not late or a late developed bad egg..
The dates in question are not set in stone-they are literally a cycle. Lining development, ovulation and implantation flow, so the lengthening of the cycle effects every phase equally. Two patients with equal cycle lengths would ovulate roughly the same day.

"Late ovulation" doesn't refer to late in a set cycle, but refers to a tendency of some to have a long cycle overall.

Also, barring other interferance or pathology, the goal of a woman's cycle is pregnancy, so most cycles will regulate themselves to facilitate implantation and pregnancy.

In short-you are right-it is grammatically incorrect to call patient one a late ovulator. It would be more correct to say she has a long cycle.

Again-I found no evidence of studies showing higher rates of miscarriage or birth defects based on cycle length. The lining growing an extra day older seems only to effect whether the egg can and will implant. This would be the only reason to manipulate ovulation and then only after considerable natural efforts. The cycle proceeds naturally and if it presents a speed bump to conception it is one of the easier to overcome.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply two Christy Hammond's Post: Many-thanks-the examples given were to show two women on a 35 day cycle-one who ovulated 14 days before her cycle-which is classed as normal

1 who ovulated on a 35 day cycle but later-making it late ovulation and making the LP insufficient

A 35 day cycle is considered normal by doctors but a 21 ovulation day is however considered 'late' even though there is still a healthy 14 days for the LP and implantation

Speaking on forums-most women claim to ovulate at different times each month no matter what the cycle length is. So two women on a 28 day cycle-1 ovulated on the text book 14 day but the other ovulated on day 17-the next month one ovulated on day 8 (now considered by doctors too early) and the other on day 12. People using the clear blue fertility monitor or ovulation sticks have found it changes.

So the point again: How can doctors label women's eggs as 'bad quality' in she ovulates over day 20 when her cycle is considered normal at 35 days and she is told it is 'normal' to ovulate 14 days before her period which falls on day 21 THIS IS THEN CALLED LATE OVULATION/BAD EGGS
SOMETHING IS WRONG SOMEWHERE! and women are being misinformed. How does the doctor know when her eggs start growing and 1 finally matures-it could be later with a later cycle..Doing your research has showed no miscarriages or birth defects from the 'late' ovulation-so why are doctors suggesting something that isn't backed up with proof..? Many-Thanks-:-)
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Christy Hammond's Post: Many Thanks Christy We still need to address the proof issue that a long cycle therefore later ovulation=bad eggs,as this is Suggested on a regular basis by proffesionals

as discussed..a 35 day cycle is called -NORMAL
ovulating on day 21 is considered Late even though it is 14 days from the menstrual cycle and gives time for a healthy LP

WHY ARE DOCTORS SUGGESTING THE BAD EGG THEORY WITH NO PROOF? as this all seems to be based on assumption

where have they got the miscarriage theory from and birth defects-have they got proof time of ovulation affects this?

Allot of women are worried about their so called 'bad eggs' and it needs further explanation on the whole as it doesn't tie in with normal menstrual cycles...

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Christy Hammond's Post: Christy is not answering any longer..I will pay when every part of the question is addressed,Can anyone else give a very clear precise answer. I know doctors disagree over this issue. Any Doctor with great knowledge of fertility/pregnancy/conception would be appreciated-thanks
Dr. Coulam, an infertility specialist states:

delayed ovulation does not cause poor egg quality however, late ovulation can be associated w/polycystic ovaries. That is why late ovulation and increase frequency of miscarriage seem linked.

Sam Thatcher, MD, Ph.D. (fertility specialist) wrote:

If ovulation is delayed, the luteal phase is often inadequate. Yes, I think that implantation could be less likely. But late ovulation is better than no ovulation, can be manipulated and rarely prevent pregnancy.

I see repeated reference in all articles, to lower egg quality, but I read that to mean less likely to implant itself, not an actual defect in the egg.

This web site has a list of women who ovulate late and still conceived:

Most IVF centers are now grading egg /embryo quality before implantation and this procedure has shown all factors effecting egg quality. Primarily maternal age and heredity effect quality the most. There is repeated reference to prolonged cycles being a possible weakening effect.

The references are oddly spotty though. Meaning actual research is referred to, but rarely made available. The journals publishing them are professional journals, which you could reference at any Medical Library (check local college campuses) if you need to see the numbers.

I hope you have gotten the info you needed if not the answer you (and I) hoped we'd find. While these facts may be frustrating, they may also be irrelevant to your ability to conceive and have a perfectly healthy baby.

I am happy to answer any questions I can.

Best of Luck, christy
I am very sorry If I have been unable to nail down your answer. I hope another expert can help.

In my opinion the bad egg theory is not a valid researched concept and is mostly based on assumption. I think the "bad egg" scare is more old wives tale than scientific theory.

The only concrete evidence is the IVF egg grading system, where age of egg is used to downgrade the egg. An egg below a certain grade is less likely to fertilize and develop, and more likely to result in miscarriage.

Good Luck in finding your answers.
Sorry I didn't help.