V. Yetimyan   M.D.
V. Yetimyan M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Physician for 20 years with experience in hospital patient care.
616192

I have a white film on the inside of my vagina. There ...

Customer Question

I have a white film on the inside of my vagina. There is no unusual discharge or odor, only the white film.

Optional Information:
Female , Age: 22

Already Tried:
nada

Category: Health
Expert:  V. Yetimyan M.D. replied 10 years ago.

It looks like a yeast infection to me. A cream for yeast infection can help.

If this is helpful to you please click the ACCEPT button. A BONUS and a positive feedback rating would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Vahe Yetimyan   M.D.'s Post: It is not associated with any burning or itching or any normal symptoms of a yeast infection. I have chronic yeast infections ( I get one every month before my period) and I do not believe this is what it is. I have been to the doctor for yeast infections in the past and I was prescribed Diflucan, (the pink pill). I really do not think that this is caused by a yeast infection.

Thanks for giving me more information about your medication use for chronic yeast infection.
The white film on the inside of the vagina may be a Precancerous changes of the vagina. They may appear like white patches. So i would like to suggest to you to see your Gynecologist for an examiation.

Please click the accept button if my reply is helpful to you. A BONUS and a positive feedback rating would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Vahe Yetimyan   M.D.'s Post: Well the film washes away in the shower. It's not actually stuck to the skin. It seems like the film forms overnight while I am sleeping and then once I take a shower it washes right away. My vagina does not have any white patches actually on it. Ok, this might be easier to explain it like this: If you stick out your tongue and see the white film on the back before you brush your teeth. Then once you brush your tongue the white film disappears. But I do take a shower every day so it's like it's because it's unclean(down there). My vagina does not have any unusual or strange odors.

If the film washes away it is probably caused by the Candida albicans. This is the fungus causes vaginal yeast infection if the right condition becomes available for them. 25% of women without disease symptoms have this organism present like you have, a white film on the insude of the vagina.

Symptoms appear when the balance between the normal microorganisms of the vagina is lost, and the Candida albicans population becomes larger in relation to the other microorganism populations.

This happens when the environment (the vagina) has certain favorable conditions that allow growth and nourishment of Candida albicans. An environment that makes it difficult for the other microorganisms to survive may also cause an imbalance and lead to a yeast infection.

If you take certain kind of antibiotics or using birth control pill with estogen in it or if you have diabetes or if you are pregnant or if your immune system is weakened you tip the balance in favor of Candida albicans and you become symptomatic from being asymptomatic.

If you want a complete evaluation of this white film on the inside of the vagina your gynecologist can take a sample by using a cotton swab and examine it under microscope. If there
is evidence of Candida albicans then culture will be cultured to confirm the diagnosis.

Please click the ACCEPT button if my reply is helpful to you. A BONUS and a positive feedback rating would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Thank you for your time.